Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Keepin' On In The WIlderness

Still in Leviticus.
What is see in the book (beyond the "do's" and "don'ts) is the realization that I, as a believer or follower of Jesus, need to walk in manner worthy of the call He has extended to me. O.k....now that sounds like some kind of mumbo-jumbo doesn't it. Let me try to boil that point down to a place where it makes sense (at least to my spirit ). My life should reflect, or people should be able to see, that there is a consistency in my behavior and thought. That my words and my actions reflect God at work in me.  The one thing I have come to understand is that since God is holy, those called to follow Him must also manifest holiness. It goes beyond something or some belief that reflects a state of morality. In other words, it isn't simply about being good. The holiness I am speaking of isn't a keeping of rules and regulations.......it is merely acknowledging the work of Christ in my life and that I am covered by his holiness.

The only way I can truly move in this state or fashion is to allow God's Holy Spirit to work in me. He becomes the moral guide. He defines my civil duty, not the government. He establishes my life within a community of like minded people. Some would call this the church. In other words, I am connected to a group of people who are also lead by the Spirit of God. I know it all sounds kind of elitism like we are the chosen, better than the rest of you. Well, God is so opposite in the ways He carries out the Kingdom plans. In order to be chosen, you have to take the seat and place of a servant. I am called to serve the men here at Rapha. I am not over them or better than them. I am a servant and as such, I can only do what the Father instructs me to do. I can attest that when I get a spiritual "big-head", I only mess up and break or destroy things and people around me.

If nothing else, Leviticus teaches me that God expects more than lip service from me. He expects that my new life in Christ should reflect a new quality of living. Quality in the fact that I am now doing business with heaven and not the dictates of this world. Doing business or living by God's direction does not mean I go and buy me a brown robe and some sandals, find my a mountain top and go grow organic vegetables, all the while chanting and singing. Nothing wrong with robes and sandals. I love mountain tops. Organic vegetables......good stuff...a mite expensive but still good. Chanting and singing....not my cup of tea but I don't think anyone was kicked out of the family for doing this. What is wrong is the pull away from society and reject the very ones God is wanting to reach.

The book of Leviticus is an outline...........a reminder of how man is to approach God. The entire book is filled with redemption illustrations:  The five offerings----the high priest----the seven feasts---
We read later in the book of Hebrews and see the illustrations of Leviticus brought to fulfillment through the new high priest, Jesus Christ. God has laid out in His word the way to holiness and life eternal. That way if not open for debate, not from me or you. We either receive and walk in the way, or we reject and suffer the consequence for that choice.

I trust that God would reveal himself to you today.....
God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...