Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My morning walks have become somewhat enjoyable as I continue to gain my strength back since my heart attack. This morning I was up at 4:15, dressed and out the door for the walk. Armed with my mp3 player and a couple of downloads of QUICK STUDY BIBLE STUDY, I hit the road.

I have started back with the Bible study at Rapha on Tuesday nights. We had a good group last night, probably around 20-25 men as we opened the book of Revelation. Now before you get all excited, know that we covered chapter 1 and did so to get them acquainted with what the book is about. The first question I asked was, "When you think of Revelation, what is the first thing that comes to your mind?"
The Rapture. The Anti-Christ. The great tribulation. End times. And the list went on and on. I finally told them that on one hand, they were right, but that they had missed the entire focus of the book. The book of Revelation was about the revealing of Jesus Christ. We get a close up and intimate look at Jesus who is ministering in heaven today. It isn't about the carpenter son of Joseph and Mary, working, living and ministering here on earth. It is about the risen, glorified Son of God who operates from the position of High Priest of heaven.

In chapter one, John refers to Jesus as:
The Loyal (or faithful) witness. The thought behind the name is to come to an understanding that every word spoken by Jesus is true and Amen. The final word. To put it in "Southern" terms...Jesus doesn't flap his gums to just to hear the noise.
Jesus is the firstborn from the dead. He wasn't the first to be resurrected to life, but he was the first who willingly gave his life for the sin of the world to be cancelled. He died and was resurrected, but here comes the kicker. Jesus ascended to heaven and took his rightful place at the right hand of God the father. The Father gave Jesus the title of LORD. He truly is King of king and Lord of Lords. How do I know this? Because John goes on to refer to Jesus as the "ruler of all earthly kings."

John (the revelator) continues in Chapter one with this incredible passage:
"Glory and strength to Christ, who loves us...
who blood-washed our sins from our lives...
Who made us a Kingdom, Priests for his Father, forever---and yes, he's on the way!
Riding the clouds, he'll be seen by every eye.
Those who mocked and killed him will see him....
People from all nations and all times will tear their clothes in lament.
Oh yes."


You know, if you really stop to think about it, we are living and headed toward the fulfillment of the book of Revelation right now. I know that some believe that the events of Revelation have already happened (Preterist) and the book itself is open to great debate. I tend to view it with the notion that sometimes our intellectual prowess gets in the way of understanding. When it comes to Scripture, we tend to complicate the obvious and trivialize the momentous. In other words, sometimes Scripture is simply how it reads.

I'm not into time tables or predictions concerning the Kingdom of God or the return of Jesus. I comfort myself with the words of Scripture, knowing them to be true and will be fulfilled either in my lifetime or in the life to come. My focus is to simply love God and trust Him that He is in control of today. If He is in control of the events that will happen today, then I can trust my life and my sobriety to Him. That puts me at peace as I simply walk out this 24  hours that have been given to me.

I don't know if you know this, but I have read the end of the book, and guess what? WE WIN!
Revelation 12
Salvation and power are established!
The Kingdom of our God, authority of his Messiah!
The accuser of our brothers and sisters thrown out, who accused them day and night before God.
They defeated him through the blood of the Lamb and the bold words of their testimony.
They weren't in love with themselves and were willing to die for Christ,

so rejoice, O Heavens and all who live there.

Be encouraged in that whatever you are struggling with today, Jesus is there to help you, empower you, guide you and protect you.
He is a good God!

God on you...today!
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...