Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pawdy Moore and The Word Of God

Growing up in the country our sole source of life's necessities came from a small general store located at the center of our community.
Small, Cinder block building, the store was run by one Mr. Howard Moore otherwise known as "Pawdy".
Pawdy carried everything from shoe strings to Rabbit food Pellets in big checker board colored bags from the Ralston-Purina Company. There was Hog feed and dog feed and chicken feed and I'm sure if someone asked, Pawdy could probably come up with elephant feed. He was the purveyor of the needs of our small community.

As you entered the store through a Merita Bread Screen door, there, situated in the center of the room was a huge potbellied stove. This became the gathering point during the cold days of winter. Old men (at least they were old to me since I was 9) would sit and whittle, sharing stories and  matching pennies in an effort to pass the time. We kids were always getting in the way if you asked any of the old timers. Our favorite past time was to have spittin' contests on the stove top. Two kids (usually of the male persuasion) would gather on either side of the stove and when you both had accumulated enough spit, you'd launch it on to the stove top. The two globules of saliva would hit the stove with an incredible sizzling sound and commence to run around the top like two scalded rabbits. Did I mention that most of us in the community were poor so this particular activity was known as "high" entertainment. Usually after a few minutes of spit flinging on the stove, Pawdy would commence to run us kids off saying, "Either buy something or leave," knowing full well we didn't have any money.

Pawdy gave most everyone in the community a running tab or credit with which to purchase groceries with. You could get whatever you needed as long as by Friday at closing you'd paid up your bill. I sure there were times when Pawdy would extend credit, but this was not something we kids were privy to. Pawdy was a good man....a gentle man who tried to be gruff but never quiet managed to pull it off. Pawdy was the lifeline for the community and every one was very appreciative.

You may be asking yourself, "Why is he writing about general store and spit contest?" Well, just like Pawdy and his general store that provided what we needed, So does the Bible.
You want to hear the voice of God?
Then open your Bible and your heart and listen as the words become more than organized thoughts in a line. Let them come to life as you take them into your spirit.
Listen for God's voice asking you, "What is you need today, my child?"
God's general store has every thing needed to walk through this dark, old world.
Psalm 119: Selected verses-
Verse 1 & 2 - Blessed are people of integrity, who follow the law of the LORD.
Blessed are those who obey his decrees and search for him with all their hearts.


Verse 57 - 59 -  LORD, you are mine! I promise to obey your words! With all my heart I want your blessings. Be merciful to me just as your promised. I pondered the direction of my life, and I turned to follow your statutes.

Whatever it is I need, I find in the Word of God. The daily situations and circumstances that come to me where I feel as though God was behind them, I turn to the word to hear the confirming voice that declares to my spirit, "It was me!" There is great peace and comfort knowing that the more I study God's word, the clearer his voice becomes.

It really isn't in vogue to study and digest the word of God these days.
Those who do are accused of being dead and not open to the move of the Holy Spirit. I disagree. I do understand how it could be seen in this light. The main focus today is on experiencing God. Boy...I do not have a problem with that. I love it more than anyone when the presence of God manifests in meeting and things begin to happen. People are saved and people are healed. I love it when a corporate worship service just goes off the scale as people get free. But for me, nothing compares with that wonderful moment when the Holy Spirit inside me, suddenly makes a verse connect. I might have been looking for an answer from God and there suddenly on the page I see it. The words come to life and then become life inside of me as I realize that God himself has directed me and given  me an answer to a problem. How cool is that?

I am a huge advocate of Bible study.
Use your Bible.
Wear your Bible out.
Mark in it....highlight thoughts and verses.
Read it...
Get the word all down inside your spirit.
You will never regret it....
Like Pawdy Moore's Store, The Word of God has everything you need for living in this old world.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...