Friday, February 10, 2012

The Word Never Wears Out


Now this is my kind of Bible. Used....Nothing more beautiful than a Bible that is worn out. We have my wife's grand fathers Bible. Pages all marked up. Pages that have come loose from the binding. Pages that have been turned down. He used his Bible. More than that, my wife's grand father lived his Bible every day of his life. What a testimony to the power of Scripture and to the faithfulness of God who honors His promises.I have an NAS Study Bible I bought when I started as associate pastor of Gadsden Vineyard Church. It has so many marks and notes in it that sometimes it is actually hard to read the text. It is my favorite Bible. Highlighted and noted with insights and surprises that God has revealed to me over these past 15 years. Bible's are meant to be used.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Study the word. Don't just read it.
Study the word. Don't just have a morning devotion.
I know...
I know...
I am beginning to sound like a pharisee!
Do this to prove you love Jesus!
No! Let the love of Christ in your heart move you to study the word.
It isn't about being a pastor or leader of any sort, size, shape or fashion.
It is about being a follower of Jesus.
I study because God speaks through His word.
I study not for information but for illumination.
I study because it comforts me and brings peace to my spirit.
The older I get, the more in love with His word I become.

Psalm 119:11
Thy word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against Thee.
Having the understanding of God's word in my heart and not just my head, aids me to overcome sin.I like the term "treasured"...it shows that God's word has value to it. Something that is more valuable than anything the world has to offer.
The Word of God.....
Delight yourself in it......
God on you.....
mb

2 comments:

Bobby said...

Wow! This is encouraging!

Greene Street Letters said...

The Word...
The Presence...
The Understanding to live it out daily.....
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...