Saturday, March 24, 2012

Amazing Grace For Real

He looked really just like he did the last time I saw him.
The sound that came out of his saxophone was as smooth as ever and filled the room as he played.
You could tell he was in his element and was as comfortable as an old house shoe.
Jimmy McNabb had come home.

Jimmy is an over comer.
He made some bad choices that seem to spiral and multiply.
Fear caused them to only get worse, until he cried out for help.
Jimmy did everything that was asked of him, and then some.

Jimmy's sobriety birthday coincides with the very first recovery service we did at Gadsden Vineyard.
August of 1999.
He was at the very first House of Blue. So Jimmy understands how far God has brought us on this "road to recovery".
Jimmy played often at House of Blue and whenever he did, the place would go crazy.
It wasn't that he was flamboyant or outrageous.
It was the Spirit of God on his music.
Jimmy didn't just play the notes, he played with his heart.
A very unassuming, low key individual, Jimmy just loved playing and being a part of a band.

I received a call from him yesterday.
He was back in Alabama to bury his mother.
She passed away last week and was laid to rest in Troy, Alabama, her hometown.
Jimmy had been asked by Cross Point Celebrate Recovery to come and sit in with their worship team, so he called me to see if I could come last night.
Of course I could. I wouldn't miss it.
As I walked into the room where the meeting was going on, the band had just kicked off the first song.
There on that stage stood Jimmy.
Always dressed to the nines, Jimmy played with his heart which just happens to come out of that saxophone.
It was as smooth as silk.
Memories rushed by as I worshipped.
"Had it really been 13 years?"
"He looks so good and healthy."
"God, you're giving me a "pay day!"
You see, from time to time, God will bring someone through  my  day who came through Rapha.
it is His way of letting me know that what we are doing matters and works in the lives of those who are ready to change. Pay Day!

As Jimmy moved into "Amazing Grace," I began to cry.
Tears streaming down my face and a joy in my heart that was indescribable.
"Yes God! Your grace is amazing, and Jimmy is living proof of that grace."
Thank you, Lord, for that gift of reconnection last night.
God bless Jimmy and his family. I would that you be a real presence in his life as he grieves in the death of his mother. You are a good God!
In Jesus name...
Amen....

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...