Saturday, March 17, 2012

No Room For Wishy Washy

Daniel 1:8
.......But Daniel made up his mind.......

Daniel made up his mind.
That verse speaks volumes about a person.
There was a decision to be made.
Two choices.
In this case, one of the choices could have cost him (Daniel) his life.
But Daniel made up his mind.
He resolved the dilemma and then followed through with it.

Daniel's situation was not exactly listed in the "good" category.
Daniel's life wasn't exactly peaches and cream.
He was a slave.
His country had fallen in defeat to Babylon, one of the great military powers of the day.
As was the custom, the people were taken away by the victorious country, to serve and fill the positions of servants and workers. Daniels very being was under the authority and whims of governement that was not very tolerant or forgiving.
But Daniel made up his mind.

I like the way the Recovery Bible writes about Daniel.
Daniel experienced the turmoil of transition from one culture to another, yet he recognized that God was in control. He knew that no matter what happened around him, God and his will would remain the same. Daniel knew what God expected of him and remained faithful to the God's program, despite the opposition and temptations he faced. So God blessed him, and Daniel became a great success in the courts of Babylon and Persia.
In other words...."But Daniel made up his mind."

Recovery is no different, as there is great turmoil (physically, emotionally, and spiritually) in the transition from your old lifestyle to this new life of sobriety. The key focus for us should be the recognition that God is in control. If we want to truly live a new way, then through step #3, we keep before us always the thought that we turn our life over to God once (Salvation) and our will daily. We must rely on the fact that no matter what happens today, God's will and purpose for us remains the same. It isn't changed or thwarted by anyone or any situation. God's will is the one true unshakable fact we can stand on. So if God's will in my life is the great stabilizer against any storm that comes my way, then I should stand on this knowledge. I should commit myself whole heartedly to this great truth.
I do not need to return to my old ways and habits of trying to control things through my own will or strength. Remember that "God does for me, what I could not do for myself."
I need to make up my mind, or as the Bible puts it, I need to set my face like flint to follow this Jesus.

But Daniel made up his mind.....
And when he did, God blessed Daniel.
God blessed Daniel even though his circumstances were less than wonderful (I mean...C'mon...he is a slave)
God broke through all the baggage that comes with being a slave and lifted Daniel up to a life that he never could have attained on his on.
How?
But Daniel made up his mind.......that's how!

When God begins this work in you, as you make up your mind to follow, then you will be given the gift that will sustain you through every trial and temptation.
As the Big Book puts it........"You will know peace!"
Go out and enjoy this day.....

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...