Tuesday, March 27, 2012

How Big Is Your God?

Reading this morning from Oswald Chambers "My Utmost For His Highest," and came away with a thought.
I need a bigger God.
What I mean by this, is that my understanding and I guess you would call it my "concept" or perception of God is very limited.
Limited in a bad way.
I love the story of Jesus interacting with the Samaritan woman at the well. Jesus has been traveling with his disciples, it's been a long trip. It's noontime and hot so Jesus has stopped by the well while the boys go on into town to round up some grub. Stories like this seem so coincidental but if not for the two main characters we would miss the point. Jesus never had any encounter that was coincidental. He followed his Father's directives and ministered everywhere he went.

The conversation between the two goes back and forth and Jesus says something that sparks the interest of the woman. He mentions "Living Water." Now this woman has not been made aware that Jesus is speaking in spiritual terms about a life that would change her forever. She is thinking about good ol' H2O, the wet stuff we need to sustain life. In fact, she begins to tear into Jesus' reference to this living water. In verse 11 of John chapter 4 we read, "But sir, you don't have a rope or a bucket," she said, "and this is a very deep well. Where would you get this living water?" She doesn't truly understand who she is speaking with. If she did, she would know that inside the human heart, where sin lies deep and undisturbed, Jesus would not bring it up, He would bring down the power of the Almighty to take it away.

Oswald Chambers puts it this way:
Think of the depths of human nature, of human life, think of the depths of the "wells" in you. Have you been impoverishing the ministry of Jesus so that He cannot do anything? Suppose there is a well of fathomless trouble inside your heart,and Jesus comes and says, "Let not your heart be troubled." and you shrug your shoulders and say, "But, Lord, the well is deep. You cannot draw up quietness and comfort out of it." No! He will bring them down from above. Jesus does not bring anything up from the wells of human nature. We limit the Holy One by remembering what we have allowed Him to do for us in the past.

I allow my unbelief, the size of the trouble or situation I am facing and my past history to limit what Jesus desires to accomplish in me. In other words, I have a small Jesus. Jesus' desire for me is to allow Him to fill me beyond my capacity. To unlock the doubt and fear and be ready to receive at any moment the tremendous outpouring of his spirit, his grace, his mercy, his love.............And his capability. Capability? Yes! His ability to deal with anything I take to him. His power and authority that created the heavens, the earth and the universe is waiting to move on my behalf when I surrender and tear down the strongholds of doubt. I need a God who is Almighty God. I need a God who is the God of this Bible. I need a Jesus who shrugged off the chains of death and the grave and stepped from that tomb victorious. I need a great big God!

Do you understand what my rambling thoughts are trying to say?
God isn't limited.
It's me that limits him when I won't let him work in me.
It's my own fears and doubt that are the real enemy here.
I choose today to not let them stop what God wants to accomplish in me.
Bring on that Living Water!!!!

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...