Thursday, March 15, 2012

Name That Tune

Psalm 32:7
You are my hiding place. You shall preserve me from trouble. You shall surround me with songs of deliverance....Selah.

Do you hear it?
It is continuous. Never Stops.
Haven't you heard it?
It rises and falls daily as we walk, work, live and breath.
Do you know the words?
"What?"you may be asking.
The Songs of deliverance that God the Father sings over you.
Why would God be singing over us?
Well, why do we sing to babies at night?
To soothe them and comfort them as they are drifting off to sleep.

God sings Songs of deliverance over us to comfort us and let us know that he is ever watchful at every point of our day.
God also sings Songs of deliverance  over us to bolster our faith.
Life has a way of knocking the blocks out from under us from time to time, and God's desire is that we learn when we are "in him" we can rest and not be caught off guard. Did you notice that it does not say what we are being delivered from? It's kind of an open ended statement. Songs of deliverance means whatever we need to be delivered from, God has a song. There is power in the proclamation and words of the song that God sings over us.
Songs strengthen our faith in God.
Songs reaffirm truth that we know with our minds, and transfers it to our hearts.
Songs have a way of sticking with us. Don't tell me you haven't ever gotten a tune in your mind that you really didn't like, only to have it stay there all day ( ...."Here's the story....of a lovely lady.....the Brady bunch....)
Even though we might not be able to hear God's Songs of deliverance with our ears, we do pick up on them with our spirit. They add to our faith which causes me to rise up and not quit. These songs also provide a hedge of protection around me. I think that God sings these Songs of deliverance as a reminder to the devil and his bunch of cronies that we belong to him. Kind of a proclamation that we have been sealed with God's Holy Spirit and therefore have a purpose and a hope. 

We had a time when God's Songs of deliverance became a reality.
It was the early 80's and Vicki and I were trying to get our lives back together. We had been away from God and the seven years we had spent in spiritual darkness had taken a toll on our relationship and our finances and our family life. This particular night was a very dark night. Financially we were drowning in debt from all the bad choices we had made. Creditors were calling and bills were stacking up. If you have ever had financial problems, you know that it brings stress and worry to a marriage. Here we were trying to live for God, trying to do the right thing, and for every positive step we took, it seemed like we were getting knocked back 3. It was so hard this particular night, that I had just given up and went to bed. My wife sat in the living room, weighed down under the pressure of life. She began to cry. "I can't do this, Lord....I just can't go on like this!"

I remember her coming down the hall, weeping uncontrollably. "He's here! He's here! Jesus is here," she said as she opened the door to the bedroom. "What? Whose here?" I replied. "It's Jesus..He came into our living room!"
She began to recount how as she was sitting there, in our living room, weeping and praying, the front door blew open. Vicki said that a presence came into the room and sat down on the couch next to her. She told me that there wasn't anyone or anything visible, but that she felt the weight of someone sitting down next to her, and that what happened next was incredible. Jesus read to her the words of Psalm 91. He sang a Song of deliverance over her.

Psalm 91
He that dwells in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God; in him will I trust.
Surely he shall deliver me from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
He shall cover me with his feathers, and under his wings shall I trust. His truth shall be my shield and buckler.
I shall not be afraid for the terror by night, nor for the arrow that flies by day.
Nor the pestilence that walks in darkness. Nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.


That Song of deliverance that Jesus sang over my wife that night changed her forever. To her, it became an inner strength and assurance that life and this world had nothing that could stop the plans of her Father. There in the darkest of moments, Jesus lifted Vicki out of a place of despair and raised her up. Our circumstances had not changed, but she had. Deliverance had come to her!
What is it you are struggling with this morning?
Stop...
Get really still....
and begin to listen with your heart as your heavenly Father sings Songs of deliverance over you.....

God on you......
mb

2 comments:

emilyelizabeth said...

Thanks, Mike. this ministered to me.

i'm sitting at work, and tears welled up in my eyes as i read this.

i'm so thankful He's the lifter of my head.

Greene Street Letters said...

It is hard sometimes to simply make it through the day, and I confess that I don't know how folks who don't know Jesus,actually do. God is beyond anything I could ever think or imagine.
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...