Friday, March 2, 2012

Taking The Airways For The Kingdom

Taken From Quick Study Bible Guide: 3/1/12

Hebrews 4:1-2
Therfore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. For indeed the gospel ws preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.

When the father of AM radio, Canadian-born Reginald Fessenden, broadcast his history-making signal from Brant Rock, MA, December 24, 1906, it was the first time anyone had heard the sound of a human voice and music on their wireless telegraphs. He began his night of honor with a violin solo of Oh Holy Night then read from Luke 2. The Christmas story was appropriate for the lonely operators aboard ships in the North Atlantic on this cold evening. The auspicious occasion may never have made history except there were telegraph operators listening at their posts. So shocked were they at this out-of-their-world broadcast audible among their usual dot and dashes of Morse Code, they thought it to be a divine message. Many made new commitments to God by getting on their knees at that moment.

Every successful communication needs not only a transmitter, but also a receiver. The Bible is the same. it's true that the word of God never returns void (Isaiah 55); however, the thoughts of God cannot be demodulated with the mind of fallen man. Hebrews 1 reminds us we need faith mixed with the WORD to help us to know God. As you read God's word, if you listen carefully you will hear the THOUGHTS of God about man, God, sin and our Savior. Put on your spiritual headphones and listen more carefully to what God is saying..............
And why He says it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me, I view this thing called "the Internet" the same way those operators must have felt when they heard a human voice coming over their wireless receivers. The idea of me being able to sit here in my kitchen at home, at the dining room table and type out this mornings posting, knowing that with the push of a key on my computer, my thoughts will be sent out for the world to read.
That is why I take what I write very seriously. No...my thoughts aren't the Word of God, but I do pray over each days posting asking God to give me his thoughts. Why? Do I have an ego that needs to be fed? No. I have a heart that wants to let God use me. Each posting here at Greene Street Letters is done so with the hope that it opens our spiritual eyes and heart to the reality of who God is. I don't know that I can ever rest in my understanding of God. It isn't about a pursuit of knowledge as much as it is a desire to see myself the way God sees me. Is that selfish? I don't think so if you're trying to be the person God created you to be.

Because I am human, I have good days and I have bad days. I have days where I am filled with great faith, and I have days where doubt creeps in like a dark cloud. Through it all, I hold fast to the fact that no matter what I am feeling.....
No matter what my day may be like....
No matter what I may be struggling with....

God is still in control.
God's plan is still being carried out in the hearts of those who are committed to Him, and the Kingdom of God is going forward.


In case I haven't told you....
I love you all and I am very appreciative of your taking the time to stop here at the Greene Street Letters.

Please share GSL with your friends and family if you think it might be an encouragement.

until tomorrow...
God on you....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...