Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Short Bynum History

Thanks for stopping by the Greene Street Letters. Just to give you some background, that is me in the picture above. Kind of sad isn't it! Just kidding.
The picture was taken at our local Waffle House where I have a standing breakfast appointment with my good friend and pastor, Jim Bentley.

My name is Michael Bynum and I am the staff pastor at a local drug and alcohol rehab, Rapha Ministries.
Married for 40 years come this September 1st to Vicki Bynum.
It just washes over me sometimes when I think that this woman hitched her ride to my wagon and has stayed with me all these years. Let it be known that I have done some pretty "goober-ish" things in my lifetime, but she has never wavered in her belief or love for me, nor I in her.

We have two sons, Chad and Josh.
Chad is a history teacher and basketball coach at Lincoln High School. He is married to Robin and they have two children that are the sun in my soul. Tyler, almost 10, and Ashley, almost 6. Robin teaches math at Lincoln High.
We had a family hoo-ha last night to celebrate Chad's 38th birthday (told you I was old). Vicki cooked up ribs, chicken for the adults and hot dogs for the kids. Much laughter and memories during the evening as Chad brought over some video's of Tyler on the day he was born. I cried. I'm an old softie and I make no excuses about it. The one in particular that started the tears was of me holding Tyler for the first time on the day he was born. The thought that this was the son of my son was beyond  my understanding. God has graced this family from his riches through out the years and I, above anyone else, know that we have not done anything to deserve it. It was the mercy and grace of God.

Josh is a professor at the University of Georgia. Josh received  his Doctorate from the University of Iowa, as did his wife, Heather. They have pinged and ponged all over these here Newnited States of Merica and have finally landed in Athens, Georgia. Recently they became the proud owners (And in debt) of a new house. They have scrimped and saved and worked over the years and now have seen their hopes and dreams come true.

Both of my sons have incredible work ethics. It was touch and go when they were growing up. It was like pulling teeth to get them to clean their rooms and empty the dishwasher. There was always a fight that went along the lines of "Mom! I emptied the silverware last time...it's (Insert name) time to do it." Same with cutting the grass...."Dad! I cut the back yard last time...it's (Insert name) time to do it."

Both of my sons are followers of Jesus.
My wife said something that caught me totally off guard the other night.
We had settled in for the night and I had just turned the lights off. She said," Michael Bynum, you do realize that you will be able to stand before Jesus and give an accounting for your family and be able to present to Him, your entire family." As she said these things, all I could think of was the countless times I had not been a good father or husband. I think maybe it happened (those thoughts) to remind me that God's grace has been over us all these years.

O give thanks unto the Lord, for he is good. For his mercy endureth forever.
O give thanks unto the God of gods, for his mercy endureth forever.
O give thanks to the Lord of lords, for his mercy endureth forever.

To him who alone doeth great wonders, for his mercy endureth forever.
To him that by wisdom mad the heavens, for his mercy endureth forever.
To him that stretched out the earth above the waters, for his mercy endureth forever.

Psalm 136:1-6

Riches? Not according to the world....
I don't have any.

But in the economy of heaven, I am beyond wealthy.
Knowledge? Not according to the world....
I don't have any.
But in the understanding and wisdom given to me through God's Holy Spirit at work within me....
I am wise.
Love? Not according to the world....
I don't know how to love.
But God has given to me a heart of love that sole desire is to see others come to know this Jesus that I have given my life to.
Why? Why know him?
Because HE is worth it.
Know him today!

God on you....
mb

2 comments:

marilyn said...

Mikey you made me cry and made my day too. how blessed you are and how blessed your family is to have as their husband, dad and grandad and it won't b long until great grandad. Love an miss you and Vicki sooooooo MUCH

Greene Street Letters said...

Ah Marilyn...you and Steve both know of what I write. Here we are in this stage of our life and it is good to look back and see the good that God has brought from us, in spite of ourselves.
I love you both and also miss you...
Mikey B.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...