Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Love? Groovey Man....

Thanks to everyone who has contacted me here at the blog and on Facebook about the recent postings. It is an encouragement to know that something that was written or shared here struck a chord with you. Rest assured that if I post something here, it is because it hit home with me also.

I am blessed beyond measure to be counted among those who make up the "recovery" community. I've always said that people in recovery have a leg up on every one else. At least they know they have a problem and are trying to do something about it. I can remember when I was just covered with "sin," going to church and sitting there listening to the messages. I would look around at everyone else and they all seemed so happy and at peace. I would think to myself, "Am I the only one who doesn't get it?" I found out later that there were a lot of folks with similar feelings.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your heavenly Father loves you.
I know you've heard this before but you know what?
He really does love you.
No really.
I could quote the "John 3:16" mantra to reinforce this belief. You know..."God so loved the world....gave his only Son....none should perish...those who believe....have ever lasting life." You've heard it, I've heard it...
But just because we've heard it doesn't mean that we've really "heard" it.
I need to hear it with my heart and not my ears.
I need my spirit to leap inside me in this truth about God's love.
I don't need this thought to be another wrinkle in my brain of stored information.
I need it to be life giving....
Day changing......
Battle equipping.....
Truth.

That my Father in heaven loves me.
Found in that thought is wonderful reality that it really isn't about me.
Oh it is....but it isn't.
I mean that God's love is not given because I have done something spectacular.
Or that I have some kind of wonderful talents or gifts that would benefit humanity.
No, God's love is given because I am God's creation.
I am an image bearer of the most high God. He cannot stand to see that image covered and tainted by sin and destruction.
God never intended me to be a sinner. "Thank you very much Mr. Adam and Mrs. Eve!"
God's love is the fuel that fires the Kingdom.
In other words....God's very nature is love. Everything he does, he does because he is love.
Now before we go all syrupy and mushy...let understand that his love is different from our kind of love found here on this fallen world. His love is a perfect love that is balanced by his "justice" side.
It was God's love that propelled God to send Jesus as a propitiation for our sins. Propitiation is a ten cent word that means, "God satisfied his own wrath and judgment against sin." Jesus became the payment for you and for me.

I know that one of my primary concerns here on this blog is those who are still out there trapped in addiction. That is why God has given me a great love to share and help those who are addicted.
The greatest weapon we can bring to bear against the evil of addiction is our love. Love that is God-given and God-directed.
I John 4:7 reads: Beloved, let us love one another for love is of God, and every one that loves is born of God and knows God.
Did you catch that? If we love, truly love it is because we have been "Born" of God. In other words, we love with a divine love because we have some of God's spiritual DNA inside of us. We carry around the Holy Spirit of God, the 2nd part of the trinity. That is why we can love. That is why the world thinks we are bonkers, because we love like God loves.

Jesus said that the world would know his disciples by their love. Not by their T-shirts, or cross necklaces.
You see love cannot be hidden.
love has to be demonstrated, shown, revealed, uncovered and let loose.
I John 4:9-10 reads: In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world that we might live through him. This is real love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

So.....
Today....
Right now....
Let his love flow over you, more than that.....receive it. Let his love break down every barrier that the enemy has tried to erect in your life.
Let the power of his love tear down every label and name that has been spoken over you that has defined you over the years.
That is some kind of love.....

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...