Saturday, April 21, 2012

New Every Morning




Lamentations 3:21-24  (Message Bible)
But there's one other thing I remember, and remembering, I keep a grip on hope:
God's loyal love couldn't have run out.
His merciful love couldn't have dried up.
They're created new every morning.
How great is your faithfulness!

I'm sticking with God (I say it over and over) He's all I've got left.

In the KJV version, it refers to God's merciful love as "New Compassion's".
I love the way this reads.....
No matter what has gone on in my day...
No matter how stinky and rotten people have treated me....
No matter how much I personally have messed up.....
God's mercy, and grace and love are made new every morning.
Just like Krispy Kreme Doughnuts....
Well, maybe that isn't the best example in the world. But I think you catch my drift.

You need to remember the context of the Book of Lamentations.
The prophet Jeremiah is getting a up close and personal view of the captivity of an entire nation.
People are being hauled off from their homes and taken to another country.
The buildings of the city are on fire and rubble is everywhere.
It is not a time of joy or celebration but of great mourning and distress.
All of this is happening because of the people rejecting God, after being warned time and time again to turn back to Him.
Yet even in the midst of all this misery....
In the middle of chaos and upheaval...
Jeremiah remembers the promises of the Lord.
HE never fails....
He never forsakes those He has called.
His love, mercy, grace and compassion is made new every morning.
That means that at the darkest point of our existence, morning is coming.....

To me this is the greatest message of hope anyone could receive.
To those who are in addiction or just coming out of it....These are promises from God that He will see you through.

Let's Look at Verses 31-33: "Why? Because the Master won't ever walk out and fail to return. If he works severely, he also works tenderly. His stockpiles of loyal love are immense. He takes no pleasure in making life hard, in throwing roadblocks in the way on luckless prisoners."
God is all up in redemption, and sometimes we need to be "whacked" to get our attention. I wish the whacking could take on another form, but God uses our situations to draw us to Him.

You just thought the police stopped you at a random road block.
Nope! God loved you enough and was chasing you down to the point He put the roadblock together.
You just thought that you so-called "best" friends turned you and rolled on you to get you arrested.
Nope! God loved you enough and was chasing down to the point that He used your "best" friends to get you into a place that would keep you from destroying yourself.
What a God!

I Peter 2:1-3
So clean house! Make a clean sweep of malice and pretense, envy and hurtful talk. You've had a taste of God. Now, like infants at the breast, drink deep of God's pure kindness. Then you'll grow up, mature and whole in God."
We can either sit in the middle of all our self-inflicted destruction...
Or...
We can lay hold of God's New Compassion's made fresh this very morning....
I choose the latter.....
Have a great weekend....

God on you...
mb



No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...