Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Perfect Oil





Psalm 119:105
Thy word is a lamp to my feet,
And a light to my path.

The verse above paints a wonderful picture of how God's word is suppose to be our guide.
It is to illuminate our surroundings so that we can see the proper way to travel.
The word of God allows me to spiritually and physically see where I am going as I make my way through my day.
As I read the words of Psalm 119, something came to me that I had never considered before, that is, the lamp is no good without oil.
You could own the most expensive, beautiful lamp in the world, but if you didn't have oil, the lamp would be useless.
A constant supply of oil was needed if you wanted to navigate your way around in the dark.
The light supplied by the source of oil was enough.
It showed you just enough so that you could walk the path before you.

In scripture, oil is a symbol of the anointing of the Holy Spirit. We are commanded to be filled with the Holy Spirit in Ephesians 5:18. Filled! Overflowing, dripping with oil. Having a supply of oil that will never run out.
For it is God's Holy Spirit that brings understanding to us as we read His Word. Without the Holy Spirit, we are like a lamp without oil. Without God's Holy Spirit, the scripture doesn't make any sense and we have no understanding of what we are reading.

I'm not saying that we intellectually cannot make sense of God's word. We can read the words, we can even comprehend what they are saying. But they will never be transformed into "LIFE" without the Holy Spirit in us. The words will never bring truth and understanding without the oil of the Holy Spirit in us to illuminate what we are reading.
John 14:26 reads:
But the Helper the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.


It is the Holy Spirit that is the POWER we have been missing in our life.
It is the Holy Spirit that is the POWER in Step#2 of the twelve steps that can restore us to sanity.
A POWER that is greater than ourselves.
The Holy Spirit is the connector that puts us in communication with God the Father and Jesus.
I wonder how many people are walking around with a lamp, but no oil?

Ephesians 5:15-16 reads:
Therefore, be careful how you walk, not as unwise men, but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil, so then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
Be careful how you walk.....
Be careful how you make your decisions and then carry them out.
Be careful how you spend your time.
Why?
Because the days are evil.
The oil of the Holy Spirit gives me illumination to navigate these "evil days" but revealing to me what the will of the Lord is.
The one thing that my wife Vicki and I have found is the importance of starting our day off with prayer and getting into God's word.
It sets our minds and spirits straight and gives us understanding of what we are to do for the day.
The oil of the Holy Spirit makes our lamps come alive with light.
We have illumination to see the path that God has called us to, and we no longer have to stumble around feeling out way.

Is your lamp full?
If not, ask God for some oil.
He will provide a comforter that will never leave you.
God on you......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...