Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sunday Musings

John 11:14
So then he told them plainly,"Lazarus is dead."

There are those poor unfortunates out there who spend their lives focused on the thought that "this God I'm being told about is far off and doesn't communicate."
How wrong could you be.
This idea that God does not speak to us is one of the chief tools the devil uses against us.
In fact in Genesis 3, he begins his temptation to the woman with the words..."Has God really said...."
Putting doubt into the mind of the woman about the words of God.

You know, if I couldn't "hear" God, I don't know how I'd go about the business of following him.
That's another point.
Why would he call us to follow if he isn't going to direct us and show us where to go and what to do.
The biggest enemy I have against hearing God is myself.
I tend to over think things. To analyze till I'm paralyzed (Favorite saying in recovery).
In other words, I'm trying to understand with my intellect rather than hear with my heart.
Proverbs 3:5-6 tells us to Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. Acknowledge him in all your ways and he will make your paths straight.
At every turn....
With every decision....
I take "ME" out of the way and let God guide me.
The hard part is when what God wants conflicts with what I might want, but that does not lessen
the "Getting me out of the way" part.
I listen for God.
I learn to listen for God.
I practice trying to hear God.
And when I hear something, I do it.

Early on, my good friend Jim Bentley had an encounter with God and in the process thought that God had spoken to him that he was to start a church. Through trying to follow what God was saying, Jim visited several men who were leaders in his church and listened to what they said. After a year or so, and through several other events, Jim went to Nashville to meet with John Wimber who was the Pastor of the Anaheim Vineyard Church. Jim explained what he thought God wanted him to start a church, and that Jim wanted to do so under the covering and authority of the Vineyard. John replied to Jim.........."If this is God, it will succeed.....if it wasn't from God, then it will die." I think John's exact words were either it will swim or it will drown. But Jim was left with a decision to make. I will do this and see if God truly did tell me to start a church. Well, 27 years later the Gadsden Vineyard Church is still alive and well. I think maybe God did speak to Jim. And plainly to!

Spend energy learning to hear God.
Tell God that you want to hear him when he speaks.
Tell God that you are ready to learn how to hear him.
Ask God to speak to you in a manner and way that you'll know it isn't just your own thoughts you are hearing in your mind.
You might be surprised at what happens!
God on you....
mb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last nights meeting at Rapha was again one of those where God was very gracious.
We had 6 men give their lives to Jesus.

Please pray for these men as they start this new part of their recovery.
Pray that the seed of God that has been planted in their hearts will not be stolen by the enemy or die because of neglect and a return to their old ways.
Right now is a crucial time in their lives.
They have made a decision to walk in a new way and manner.
It is awkward to them as they learn how to follow Jesus.

But with much prayer cover and God's Holy Spirit at work in each of them, I know that they will take their place in the Kingdom.
Until tomorrow....
God on you ...again!

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...