Sunday, April 29, 2012

The WORD Stands Alone


Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

A most unusual service last night at Rapha.
During the week, I kept hearing  "Teach The Word."  I thought to myself that is what I do. I study, I prepare and then I share what the word says.
"No! Teach the word."  Did God mean that I was to simply teach the word? Read it? Read it but don't expound on it? Don't share what I think God was saying in his word? That's right.

I was to simply read Scripture.
Why would God have me do that? To show the power of His word. That it stands alone as the power and direction given to men to lead them into the presence of a saving God.
That is exactly what we did.
I spent the better part of the day asking God to show me what Scripture's he wanted me to read.
One by one they came and I put them down on paper.
At last I had a complete message comprised of the Word of God alone....nothing from any commentary or other source.

As with anything like this, the enemy brings doubt to bear in my mind.
"You didn't really hear God did you?" "You need to explain the nature of the verse because you know you've got a lot of men at Rapha who don't understand the Bible. If you just read it, they'll be confused and loose interest."
I knew that I had heard what God wanted and I needed to simply do and leave the rest to God.

I asked my wife, Vicki, to prepare an introduction as to what we were going to do.
God gave her the right things to say as she explained to the men what was about to happen.
Then......................we read the word.
Nothing more.........just the word.
At the end of the service.....6 men stood to be saved.
The word of God is power to save.

Afterwards, man after man came up and told me what a powerful service it had been.
They were very much aware of God's presence as the word was being read.
I'm not advocating that we cease from teaching, I don't think God would reward that.
But I also think that we rely on man's mind and ability to speak sometimes.
God wanted me to remember that he has called me to preach his word, but at the same time, His word opens the hearts of men and women as His Holy Spirit brings conviction.

The Word of God....
It can stand alone above all other words....
Read it today....
Study it today....
Most of all, let it speak to your heart today....

God on you....
mb

I hope to post the service as an Audio File later this week so you can hear it if you want to.
Thanks...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...