Tuesday, May 1, 2012

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - SIX!!!!



Psalm 134
Behold, bless the LORD, all servants of the LORD,
who serve by night in the house of the Lord.
Lift up your hands to the sanctuary and bless the Lord.
May the LORD bless you from Zion,
He who made heaven and earth.

That's my verse. It was given to me by Wayne Wimpee back in 1999 when we began to host a Saturday night meeting at Gadsden Vineyard Church. It was our first attempt at being a "recovery" church. This was before Celebrate Recovery and other such meetings geared toward people in recovery. Oh, don't get me wrong.......I didn't invent or lay claim that I started the first ever recovery meeting. I just knew that God wanted a place where people could come and feel safe. A place where they could hear the teaching of the Word of God and not put up a guard against it.

Music was important because I knew that music possessed the ability to draw people into God's presence.
So the music we did was a blend of  "Hillsong meets ZZ Top." I know, it sounds weird but trust me, it worked. So as we met each Saturday night for Gadsden Vineyard HOUSE OF BLUE, we were being trained and equipped for what would come along next. A church located smack dab in the middle of a Rehab.

On April 28th, we celebrated our sixth year of the Church@Rapha. We became that church that was located smack dab in the middle of a rehab.
Six years! Doesn't seem that long.
I knew back in 2006 that God was leading me to Rapha, I actually had known this since 2004, but was dragging my feet about going. I was torn between the Vineyard and Rapha. Vineyard was my home! Vineyard was where I learned how to pastor. It was the place that birthed me and equipped me to do what I am doing today. So to cut ties and leave was a very hard thing for me to do, but I also knew that God wanted me at Rapha.
But it all came together and on April 28, 2006 I gave my last message at the Vineyard and gave my first message as the Church@Rapha met for the first time.

Those first two years, we met on Sunday Morning at 8:30 a.m.
Needless to say there were growing pains.
Some days half the room wanted to be there and the other half didn't. Some of the men were jazzed and excited about having church there at Rapha.....................
While others slept through the meeting.
Then in May of 2008, we were given permission to move from Sunday morning to Saturday night.
I was home.
I can't explain it, but I was created to have church on Saturday night. I don't know if it works because Saturday night was a night that belonged to the devil and now we are taking it back for the Kingdom or what. It just works.

God has been gracious to surround me with some pretty incredible people that help with our meetings.
Debbie Handy and Wayne Wimpee followed me from Gadsden Vineyard and have been part of the worship team. Barry Hooks has been there since day 1-- meeting #1. Barry is part of the worship team as well as one of our elders for the church. Barry's wife, Deb, came along last years and has found her niche in our meetings. God has used her in a powerful way to be a comfort and help to those who attend the meeting. My wife, Vicki --- I call her the mother of our meetings. She is "mom" to the men and doesn't hesitate to hug as well as correct when they need it.  Richard Moon is part of the ministry team that works with the ones who need prayer.

It has been a quick "6" years, but I know that God isn't  finished yet. There is still a lot He wants to accomplish in our Saturday night gatherings, and we will keep meeting until He says, "Thank you for your service, now it's time to put it to bed."

I hope that you might come out and visit with us one Saturday night.
Looking forward to seeing you......

God on you......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...