Sunday, May 27, 2012

Mom And God's Purpose


Ecclesiastes 3:1-2
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
A time to be born.....

And a time to die.....

Yesterday was the 31st anniversary of my Mother's death.
Every year, on May 26, I'm taken back, in my memory, to that hospital room at Gadsden Regional Medical Center.
I don't want you to think I'm being morbid. I'm not, because my Mother's death was a glorious occasion.
If ever a person was ready to "go home", as she put it, it was my Mom.
Christmas of 1980, my Mom and Dad came over to our house to eat and be with the kids. Mom was not feeling well and had been that way for a number of weeks. Hoping it was only something insignificant, she pushed on, as she always had. Christmas gave way to January of 1981 and the "feeling" did not go away. Eventually giving in and going to the doctor, Mom was given a series of tests and was given the news that she had pancreatic cancer. The prognosis was not good. Her chance of survival was "0". The doctors gave her 3 to 6 months to live. What came next was so typical of my Mother. Once she wrapped her mind around what was going to happen, she set about putting every thing in order.

She made lunch dates with old friends and acquaintances she hadn't seen in years. Over lunch, my Mother would share her story and ask if she had harmed or offended them in any way. Mom wanted to make sure that she took care of business before it was her time. She put her house in order and took care of all of her financial obligations. That was my Mom.

On May 14th, we took Mom to the hospital for the last time. I'll never forget as we walked out of the house, my brother on one side and me on the other, Mom turned around and looked at the house. Turning back to us, she took our arms and said, "Boys....I'm ready to go home."  On May 26th, at 8:05 a.m., my Mother took her last breath and left this world. As I sat by her bed, I could only think of the homecoming she received in heaven. Both her parents, her brother, and other loved ones to greet her. And of course...her Savior...Jesus. My Mother loved Jesus like it was nobodys business. It was her faith and her love for God and church that is probably the greatest legacy she left me. As I grew up, my Mother read me Bible stories from this gigantic family Bible. I remember so well her voice as she told me of David and Goliath. You know giants and such things fascinated little boys. Daniel and the lions den....."You mean those lions didn't eat him?" I would exclaim. Noah and the ark...."How did Mr. Noah keep all those animals from fighting/" Mom raised me, I believe, as God directed her. With that in mind, I didn't always heed her teaching. I guess the end result is what matters, as I sit here today.

I want to be like my Mom when it's my turn.
I want my faith to be unwavering and my resolve to be as one who is ready.
I don't want my heart to be divided and find that I still have a love for the things of this world.
I want my heart to have only love for the Savior who died for me to give me an eternal life with Him.
Like the verses in Ecclesiastes read....To every thing there is a season. My life is a season. During my time here, God has orchestrated and placed around me his plans and purposes. I'd like to thing I recognized what He was doing, but I didn't. I am quiet sure that I missed what God was doing or was wanting to accomplish in my life. That has always been my greatest fear. Not that I would turn and do something contrary to God's will, but that I would simply miss what He wanted me to do. As the days roll past, I am painfully aware that I do not need to squander any of them on my flesh. I want to love harder than I ever have. I want to burn with a passion to worship my God. I want to give away anything God deems as not necessary for this life. I want to dive into His Word and come up screaming...."YES! It is all true!" I want my heart to be in tune with God's heart. Does this sound fanatical? If it be so...then I will be fanatical.

What is it God is tyring to bring forth from your life today?
Don't miss it.
Don't be so caught up in the activity of life that you miss the voice of God.......the hand of God.
Turn your heart and your mind to heaven and make your days here on earth count.
Love the Lord God with all your heart, all you mind and all your strength, then as you move through your day....be prepared to tell someone your story. It might be that you are the season and purpose God has set aside for others.

I miss you Mom,and I love you.
Can't wait till I see you and Dad again.
Thanks for all you did for me and the things you instilled  in me.

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...