Thursday, June 28, 2012

Contentment And Love



Philippians 2:14 ---
In everything you do, stay away from complaining and arguing.

Philippians 4:11 --
Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to get along happily (or to be content) whether I have much or little.

I think one of the greatest gifts God ever gave to Vicki and me was the gift of contentment. Over the past 15 years that is the one thing that has covered our home and our lives....contentment. It doesn't mean that we were filled with satisfaction to the nth degree, but what it does mean is that no matter what our situation was or what circumstance we faced we had peace and contentment to go through it. This was not my normal way of handling things so this is how I know that God had given contentment to us.

To me being content opens a new door to see things differently. I have developed a greater love and appreciation for things, that in the past, I would have overlooked and gave no thought to. So here below I am going to list some of the things I love and appreciate.

1.) God's Word -  Oh in the past I read the Bible. I would take mine to church and scribble notes and such in the margins, but over the past 15 years this book has become dear to my heart. I hear others speak of going to conferences or special services and experiencing the presence of God in a powerful way. I have no problem with that. It has even happened to me and I was wonderfully transported into the presence of God. But now each time I sit down and open my Bible, I find myself in that same place as I did when I was at a conference or special service. I am transported into the presence of God and He speaks to me. There is a wonderful peace that comes to my soul when I sit and read the Psalm. My faith is strengthened and comes alive when I read Hebrews and I and II Timothy. Gratitude floods over me as I go down the verses in Romans. As my sons use to sing, when they were little tykes...."Oh the B-I-B-L-E...yes that's the book for me."

2.) Hymns - Back in the early 90's when I first latched onto "praise and worship" music, I quickly discarded the hymns of the church. I looked at them as old and out dated. Songs that were "hip" in their day (even if their day was the 1700's) but now had no relevence to my time. Talk about a snob! I was so wrong on twenty different levels. Over the past 15 years I have revisited those songs and have found them to be even more powerful than I rememberd. Here's my Top 10 list of favorite hymns.
A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
Amazing Grace
Victory In Jesus
It Is Well With My Soul
Standing On The Promises
I'd Rather Have Jesus
There Is Power In The Blood
There Is A Fountain Filled With Blood
How Great Thou Art

At The Cross 

 3.) Pastor's And Teacher's I have had the honor of listening to --
George Creel and his incredible insight into prophecy and the work of the Holy Spirit.

Jim Bentley for making it all real. His messages always reveal a truth and honesty about his own life that helps me to see my own as God sees it.

Rod Hembree and the Quick Study Program. Taking me through the Bible in one year, Rod has a way of application of the Scriptures that is relevent to life today.

Danny Daniels for words and music that showed me what true worship is. I first heard him on tape as he was teaching about worship. His love for God and music is very evident and has been honed and shaped by the reality of Danny's personal life.

Dr. J. Vernon McGee for his devotion to the Word of God. Every time I listen to his program and hear that long, gruff, drawn out Texas drawl, I can't help but laugh. Who but God would pick such a voice to go round the world with the truth of God's word.

Don Gentry who came into my life when I was growing up. Before Don I never knew of a young preacher. I thought the prerequisite for being a Pastor/Teacher was that you had to be over 70 years old. Don came to Gallant Baptist fresh out of Seminary and was full of fire and life. His words had a tremendous effect on me and shaped me to receive the call from God I now walk in.

And last, but certainly not least.....
John Wimber -  I spent 8+ years with John's Voice. I never had the honor or privilege of meeting him but through cassette tapes and CD's, I have been influenced by this man's love for Jesus. People often ask me what Seminary I attended and I quickly reply, "I attended the Open Closet" Seminary. When I started as Associate Pastor of the Vineyard, I was blessed to have been given access to their library of tapes. So for 8 years, I took full advantage of it by listening, taking notes, cross referencing the Scriptures and laying the ground work for my theology (Which by the way isn't very complicated...take a look at I Corinthians 2:2 and you'll understand.) . 

Every one of these and countless others have helped to shape me and provide me with a sure foundation in Christ. Like I said, I am blessed!

I could go on and on with my list, but I better stop for now.
I'll never be a man of great wealth that is measured by the world's standard.
But by the economy of heaven and the hand of God, I am blessed and rich beyond measure.

Have a great day!
God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...