Sunday, June 3, 2012

New (Sort Of) And Improved (I Don't Think So) Greene Street Letters



I like to try new things. Well, let me rephrase that. I like to try some new things. In most ways, I'm set and don't really like change. I find that with each passing day I sound more and more like my father. "You call that music?" "Turn down that noise." "Why back in my day when I was young...." You see what I mean? I have turned into my father. Don't laugh. You're time is coming and rest assured that it will get here fast enough.

I been toying with this blog ever since its inception back in 2008. It has been trans-morph-a-fied a number of times...why? I don't know. I changed the name of it  (Church@Rapha)...I changed the focus of it, bouncing it back and forth until I figured out that it was to focus mainly on recovery for those coming out of addictive lifestyles.

I have been drawn to the new templates that Blogger has made available. They refer to these new templates as "Dynamic Views". Anywho....I was drawn today to change the layout of the Greene Street Letters. In some ways.......simplify it. Keeping the focus on the daily postings and arranging them in such a way that they are easier to follow. So for the next few weeks I would like to try this "new" version of the Greene Street Letters. If it doesn't work out, I can always go back to the old way and format. I thank you for your indulgence.

Michael B. Bynum
Contributor of The Greene Street Letters.

Verse Of The Day
Genesis 1:16
And God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day,and the lesser light to rule the night; And He made the stars also.

I love the way God understates His work and ability. To me, Genesis 1:16 is totally hilarious. I mean, look at what is going on here. God is in the middle of the creation process. He is talking and speaking and things are whirling all around and falling into place. Now God has spoken and the sun and the moon have been placed in the heavens....no little feat unto itself if the truth be known. If the magnitude of such work doesn't faze you, you need to check your brain in and get a new one. Maybe you'd like to give it a try? Go ahead...in your best Hollywood-British-Accent say something and make it appear...you know...the whole---"LET THERE BE (fill in the blank) thing. I mean..c'mon! This is the cosmos God is fooling with. God is hanging everything in place by the power of His word. There at the end of the verse is the kicker......He made the stars also. It was like the stars were an after thought to God. Like God was walking out of the room...."Elvis has left the building," and then just as an exclamation to seal what He has accomplished, God turns and Zammo-Whammo! Stars. The stars! For pete's sake...To God...no big deal. He'll just fling 'um out there for us to see and enjoy. Well, I thought it was pretty cool.

Now if God wields that kind of power and authority, why do I not believe He can speak into my little ol' life and bring about the change He desires to see in me? I do believe He can and whats more, I believe He wants to. Let's take it one step farther..I believe He does speak into my life every day. If God puts that much effort in keeping watch over me and speaking into my life, then I want to surrender everything and simply follow His directions. Sounds like a plan to me.

God on you...
mb



No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...