Tuesday, June 12, 2012

No Time For "Woe Is Me!"


There has to be a moment in each generation, where a realization takes place. Call it a "Coming to our senses". A moment where every thing gets crystal clear and you see life for what it truly is. Your suddenly aware of the society you live in and the ways and attitudes that have become acceptable and considered to be the norm. It is of my opinion that only the Spirit of God can bring such moments to the generations. It is only God's Spirit who can remove the blinders from our vision and allow us to see the state of affairs in our cities and towns.

Without such moments of clarity, we will continue to sink into a pit of profanity and uncleanness that will drive us farther and farther away from God. Without such clarity, we will raise another generation who does not know God and does not know of his deeds and love for mankind. As a people we will devolve into a group who is driven not by the Spirit of God, but by their own carnal base desires. In other words, we will live by our flesh and for our flesh.

I have been wanting to write this for some time, but didn't feel like I had permission to by God. Now, I have such permission. Sunday night, I sat and watched a well respected news show glorify and approve of two men who have pushed the boundaries of profane. In fact the one who was doing the interview said the following statement concerning this new work these two men have completed....."They are blasphemous, profane......but uplifting."  I felt shame and my heart broke as clips were played that mocked and made fun of Jesus. Blasphemous...profane....but uplifting? How could such things be played over the airways as being acceptable and right. What happened to the moral compass of this nation? Have we truly cast aside God so far that all rules have been negated and anything goes?

I know that from time to time, people have stood up to turn to God to right the wrongs that are guiding our nation. I know that good people have called for prayer groups and rally's to take back out nation for God. Such things appear to be good and proper........but are they effective? Do they accomplish anything, or are they simply a way to soothe our conscience concerning this spiritual darkness that has settled over our land?
Whenever such groups do gather, they usually use II Chronicles 7:14 as the basis for their meetings.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

What I see in these verses is the basis for a revival to beat all revivals.
Very first thing......God refers to them as "HIS PEOPLE" who are called by His name.
In other words...He is talking about those who aren't about the business of playing at being a follower of Jesus. He is referring to those who truly belong to the body of Christ.
Such people are called to humble themselves. Are we truly willing to do that? Humble ourselves? To agree with God who God says we are? To place ourselves in a position where we simply follow His instructions, no questions asked? Are we willing to shake off all our own wants, desires.....to lay down our agendas and plans to once and for all time take up the real cross that Jesus commands us to in Luke 9:23?

Then and only then can we fall to our knees and pray and seek His face. From such a place, the things of this old world seem to disappear and you can see Him like at no other time. I don't think this part of the passage is referring to short, flowery prayers that we sometimes pray. This is a prayer that has to come up from being broken before God. I know that this isn't a very popular part of being a follower of Jesus. Today it seems to be about being positive and upbeat....smiles and great music. Well, there are times when we should venture into the dark place of the holy of holies, such as was with the Tabernacle Moses built. Only the high priest could venture into such a area. Since we have been called "Priests" by God in I Peter 2:9, it is in this place that we meet the real God. So much of my service and life to God is merely what I refer to as "Surface Stuff" that I am ashamed at my actions and shallowness of my faith. The place of humbling myself, praying and seeking God's face does not take place in the bright light of man's approval. It takes place in the dark hard places of my own heart. The places I have tried to hide from the view of others. You see, I think we all stand naked at the cross. I'm not talking about not having any clothes on, I speaking of the uncovering love and healing that takes place when we get honest before Jesus. When we quit playing a religious game of "Look at me! Ain't I spiritual?" and wake up to reality that such posturing serves no purpose other than to feed our sinful flesh, then all the praying in the world isn't going to move God one way or another.

Malachi 1:10 refers to this facade of appearing religious.
"Oh that one of you would shut the temple doors, so that you would not light useless fires on my altar! I am not pleased with you," Says the the Lord Almighty.
Would we even hear God's message if he told us to shut the doors of our churches, silence the music of our worship and not to come back until we are ready to repent and turn again to Him? Or would we bow our backs and say, "You don't appreciate all the things we have done in your name!"

The next part of II Chronicles 7:14 speaks of "turning from our wicked ways." Now there isn't a believer a live who truly sees themselves as being wicked. After all..........We're Saved! But let me ask you this? How wicked do you have to be, to be wicked? Is there any hate, bitterness or unforgiveness in your heart? That would be considered wickedness, wouldn't it? To me, I want to be about the business of learning to love. I've not very good at it. I find myself being confronted with people that I just have a hard time loving. Maybe not something you want to hear from me............but I'm just trying to be real. I do spend a great deal of time praying asking God to help me to learn to love. To not let my love be tainted by skepticism or a critical tongue. I want the pure, undefiled kind of love that comes from the Father heart of God.

I know this has been a long posting today and I thank you for stopping by the Greene Street Letters. This posting was written for me, first of all. God is stirring me to adopt this II Chronicles 7:14 attitude. If this has spoken to you, then lets join together in seeking God's face for our nation. When I say nation...I mean which ever one you may live in. It isn't all about the USA you know. God loves......Canada, Great Britain, Egypt, Iran and Iraq, France, Spain, China, Russia, The Ukraine, Brazil, and so on and so on....
Last time I checked, my Bible said that "God so loved the world................."
God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...