Sunday, June 10, 2012

We Came...We Praised....We Loved


My family......
Probably the most talented bunch of individuals you'd ever want to be around. Each time we get together, I am flooded with memories of times past. Throw in an overwhelming sense of love for these guys and it makes for a great evening.

Nori, Barbie, Lizzie and Cynthia Kelley came to Rapha last night to play and worship. Eugene Bates joined them on Bass and or course, the lovely and talented Joe Pfau kept everything flowing with his drumming.
I know that we are all a year older since our last meeting, but the fire still burns for Jesus and the worship gets sweeter and more fuller each time we meet.  So many stories that we have in common....times spent together......playing and worshipping.....our struggles and our victories. All a part of our shared history.
Standing there in the chapel last night, trying to take everything in, I was very much aware of what an incredible blessing God has given to me........friends.....real friends...

I thought back to different seasons of our lives. First meeting Nori, back in 1980 and first learning what an incredible talent he was. His first album, Spring Rain, was and continues to be one of my favorites. Being a part of Christian Brothers Organization, and all the Fall Festivals we put on. Pat Terry, and Paul Clark, Don and Jennie Rakestraw, The group-Joel, David and Brook Finlayson...all of these folks laid the groundwork in my life for what God wanted to do next. Teach me how to worship. This is where Nori came in. He and Debbie Handy gave me a love for worship. I could write for hours about time spent playing and worshipping together with these people......my friends.

Funny part about this "friend" thing, is that if you took Jesus out of the mix, I don't know that we'd have anything in common. We'd probably speak out of courtesy if we met somewhere, but I don't think we'd classify ourselves as friends. To me, this is the power of the Holy Spirit. He takes us above our differences and unites us in His love. I think the words of Ephesians 4:2-3 ring truer this morning than ever before in my life---Be completely humble and gentle; be patient bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. I don't think God was suggesting this as something we might want to think about. I think He was dead serious about us ,as believers, working to keep the unity of the Spirit. The Holy Spirit's very nature is to bring together those who the flesh would seek to keep apart.

So last night brought a deep satisfaction to my soul.
Oh, I'd heard the songs before...but this was more than just songs....
This was about giving an offering....
An offering of gratitude and love to God for the people He has placed in my life.
I thought to myself, "This is one of those times that I need to store away and draw life from it." To be thankful for these brief encounters where we are brought together under the covering of worship to Love our God and love one another.

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...