Thursday, July 5, 2012

Change...It's All About Being Changed.



Matthew 10:7-8
"Go and announce to them that the Kingdom of Heaven is near. Heal the sick, raise the dead, cure those with leprosy, and cast out demons. Give as freely as you have received!"

Let's talk about what I don't know.
I don't understand how addiction works. I can't tell you why some people seemed to have a "Bent" toward using and some don't. I don't understand how the Twelve Steps work...I know it truly relies on the HIGHER POWER that you turn to. In my case, that HIGHER POWER is Jesus the Christ.

Some folks don't like this mixture of what they call "religion" and "recovery". But how do you separate the healing that needs to take place in the life of an addict from someones disdain for religion? Well, the first thing you have to do is experience the truth of who Jesus is in your own life. Somehow we've gotten in our heads that recovery is simply me realigning the way I think when, in fact, it is a "vital spiritual experience" that changes my very character. Character change first begins in the heart and not the mind. I remember years ago, in a galaxy far, far away.....er...sorry bout that. Anyway, years ago when I was a pagan, cussing was no big deal for me. I was good at it. It really didn't matter who was around either....I would let it fly. Even in this state, it would come to my mind that I really needed to quit speaking like this, so I would make up my mind to refrain from my colorful language. It didn't work. First little thing that came along to upset my proverbial apple cart and the words would fly. I would be ashamed and once again vow to change my ways. Then I met Jesus. You know what? The moment I was saved, I lost all desire to use curse words. I didn't have to watch myself, or think about not using them. It was gone. I just never cursed anymore. God had done for me something I could not do for myself.

Recovery is about allowing Jesus to heal you and grow you. It isn't about a "zammo-whammo Instant change." It's about spiritual progress as you grow daily in your walk with Jesus. It's about learning how to live all over again. Appreciating the small things that you gain in your sobriety. I love seeing this change take place in the lives of the men who come through Rapha. To hear them talk about getting up early and getting a cup of coffee...standing out back near the creek watching the sun come up and listening to the sounds of the morning. To hear the joy they felt in this very small thing of greeting the day. That is power that Jesus brings to a life that has worked the first three steps. The power of restoration and healing.

Romans 15;13
So I pray that God, who gives you hope, will keep you happy and full of peace as you believe in Him. May you overflow with hope through the Power of the Holy Spirit.

Today is the day for you to be healed!
God on you....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...