Thursday, July 26, 2012

Do You Have Happy Feet?


Life is a journey...
Wow! Profound isn't it.
Life is a journey...
How many times has that phrase been used?
How many times have we heard that colorful metaphor?
Life is a journey.

Yet, it truly is.
It is an assimilation of days, of events and people that we meet, each one shaping us and forming us along the way.
Life is a journey.
Sometimes the journey is like visiting an amusement park. Everything seems surreal and there is laughter and joy.

Sometimes the journey is like taking a wrong turn and finding yourself in unfamiliar territory. Not sure of where you are going or how to find your way back to the path. People aren't friendly and they look at you with eyes that seem to say, "beware! You are not welcomed here."

There is something else to life that each of us must come to grips with.
Life is short.
I'm not old...at lest not in my mind.
I'm not young.....sometimes my mind tries to fool me on this one.

I'm 60 and 3/4's.
I've started to have thoughts of retirement. Do you know how strange that is?
Retirement was always for old people. Retirement was what my Mom and Dad did. But those thoughts have now become a part of my daily routine. Will I act on those thoughts? Probably not. No where in Scripture do I read where God says, "O.k. boys and girls....thou shalt retire." I think maybe I'll keep at what He has called me to do. But, none the less, life is short.


I was reading in Ecclesiastes this morning and was taken by what I read.

Ecclesiastes 12:1-2
Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth, before the difficult days come.
And the years draw near when you say, "I have no pleasure in them".

While the sun and the light, the moon and the stars are not darkened. And the clouds do not return after the rain.

I think maybe the greatest thing I could ever accomplish during my limited engagement here on planet Earth, is to fall in love with Jesus and tell those around me about this relationship. Oh we can boil theology down all we want to. Dissect the Greek and the Hebrew..... Look at what tense words were written in....bandy about what we believe truth really is. But in the end, it is still boils down to God calling me to be a person who loves.
A person who loves Him.
A person who loves those who love Him.
And a person who loves those who don't love Him.

All along the way, I share my story about what God has done to me.
How he has changed me and shown me what my true purpose is.
The last part of Ecclesiastes 12 reads:
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter:
Fear God and keep His commandments.
For this is man's all.
For God will bring every work into judgment, including every secret thing, whether good or evil.


Jesus said that the whole of the law rested on two things.
Love Him...with everything in us...
Love our neighbors as we love ourselves.

Why do I make this so hard?
I guess because even after 60 and 3/4 years....

I'm still learning how to love.
Maybe I'll get it right one day before I depart.


God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...