Monday, July 16, 2012

High Road? Low Road? Are You Even On The Road?


Seems as though the last few Greene Street Letters have been about "direction".
Taking the right road....
Taking the right path...
Making the right decisions.....

All have a determining factor on the state of life that we experience.
Kind of simple if you truly stop to ponder it.
Good choices bring good consequences.

Bad choices bring bad consequences.
Sounds easy...
Hard to do.
Especially when you throw in our old nature...our sin nature. Some call it the "flesh".
No matter what moniker you put on it, just know that it is something that is born in each of us and influences our decisions.
We see this in Romans 7, where the apostle Paul writes about the struggle that he has faced.
"For what I will to do, that I do not practice. But what I hate, that I do."

The only thing that can stop this insanity of doing the wrong thing is a Power greater than ourselves.....Jesus Christ.
I know that some of you may grow tired of me always bringing up Jesus, but you know what? I haven't found anyone or anything else that has impacted my own life greater than what Jesus has.
He alone is the Power and presence to restore me to sanity.
He alone is the Power and presence that can give to me a life that I am incapable of producing myself.
No wonder that Jesus issued what I believe to be the greatest invitation to mankind that has ever been given in Matthew 11:28.
"Come to Me, all you who labor and heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Jesus wasn't talking about a job or a task when he uses the words "Labor" and "heavy laden". He is referring to the weight of life itself upon the weakened shoulders of those who stand outside of relationship with Him. Those who have expended themselves through their own efforts and have nothing to show for it. When I say "have nothing to show for it," I'm not referring to monetary or social status. I'm referring to the intangibles of life.
Such things as real peace. A peace that dwells inside an individual that is not shaken by the events or circumstances around them. In fact, everything can be crumbling around them and they find that they can remain focused and centered, not swept up on an emotional roller coaster. That is peace!

Another of the intangibles we are given in this relationship with Jesus is direction and purpose. In other words, we no longer follow the directions of the devil, or the prince and power of this age. We do not listen to his voice or urging in our decision making. Why? Because of what it says in Proverbs 14:12 - "There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death." I think the one thing that gets me when I read this, is how easily we are deceived into believing a lie. Did you catch that? There is a way....a direction...a purpose..that seems right to a man. A way of doing things....a set of instructions to follow that we think will benefit us, but the end of it is death. I don't think this scripture is referring to physical death...after all, we are all headed there, aren't we? Of course we are. I think, in this instance, the death it is referring to is what scripture defines as "The 2nd death." The eternal separation from the presence of God. It is also referred to as "The outer darkness".

This is why, for me, it is important that I look to God...to His word and to the leading of His Holy Spirit for direction in all my decisions. He has not failed me! This is also another reason I need to surround myself with others who are following Jesus. I can share and gain feedback from what they have experienced in their own lives that will help me to understand.

Bottom line...
There are no Lone Rangers in the Kingdom of God.
We are connected into a wonderful community called The Body Of Christ.
Find your place today.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...