Monday, July 23, 2012

I Walk The Line





Monday gets such a bum rap.....
"It's Monday.......Bummer."
Not so....It just happens to be the second day of the week.
Check your calendar and you'll see that Sunday is the actually the first day.
Think of it.
You get a day off to start the new week...to help you slide back into the routine.
You get the last day of the week off....Saturday.
And the first day of the week off....Monday...

I'm grateful that the Saturday's and Monday's keep rolling by me, that I'm still drawing breath and moving around. Or, as a friend of mine use to say..."I'm glad that I'm still Vertical and Ventilating."
God is good.

To me (now I get to pontificate a bit) life is a matter of balance.
John Wimber, my spiritual mentor, use to say that the best place to stand is in the "radical middle". This was the place of balance where God could use you.
You were not to far to either side. You weren't a spiritual pharisee demanding that everyone toe the line and be all religious, and you weren't loosey goosey in your beliefs so that anything goes.
I think that is why I love the Twelve Steps. They are a place of balance where you can find life.
They bring order to a chaotic life.
They being correction to a life prone to wander and get in trouble.

They bring stability to a life that was once out of control.
Of course, it is the Power behind the steps.....that Power being Jesus Christ.
It's all about balance....


I read a great verse about balance this morning during my quiet time.
Proverbs 30:7-9
"O God, I beg two favors from you before I die. First, help me to never tell a lie. Second, give me neither poverty nor riches! Give me just enough to satisfy my needs. For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, ' Who is the Lord?' And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God's holy name."

Isn't that cool?
The prayer basically is saying....I want to trust you, Lord. I recognize that left to my own ways, I could get in trouble very easily. I simply want my needs taken care of. If you gave me to much, I know myself very well, and the possibility exists that I would deny you. I also am fully aware that within myself exists this old nature that if poverty came to me, I would fall back into some old ways and start stealing. Help me to find that place of balance where I can simply be satisfied and content.

Notice that it said, "Satisfy my needs."
It doesn't say satisfy my desires.
As I live this life or relationship with Jesus, His desires become my desires. I learn that it's the eternal things of God that brings true satisfaction to my soul. I still have daily needs that have to be met and it is those that I look to God to provide for.
Find the balance in life today.
Find Jesus...(not that He's missing...finding Him is a matter of focusing your thoughts and heart on Him today).
And hey..........
Make it a good Monday!

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...