Monday, July 9, 2012

Real Jesus? Or Fake Jesus


Genuine Imitation leather Bible.....
I have actually heard these words before.....genuine imitation....
They kind of don't go together.
It's the "real - fake" stuff.
Almost a boasting of the  maker of such Bibles as to say, "Hey we're not trying to put anything over on you...we told you it was not real leather. We told you it was a real imitation." Hence the name genuine imitation.
Some people take pride in owning such a Bible. Real leather is expensive so to have something that looks like an expensive Bible is high on some people's list. Let's be real here. It really isn't the cover, or the outside, it's the content. The content is what matters. Is the content real? Does the content of such a book change people's lives? Well, yes and no.

The content of Scripture, under the conviction of God's Holy Spirit, points us to Jesus who truly can make a difference.
The Word of God becomes a knife or scalpel used to peel away our arguments and objections to reveal to us the truth about our spiritual status in this life.

Some people want a genuine imitation Jesus. He looks like the real thing, but isn't. The imitation Jesus doesn't use such words as "sin" or "hell". He is loving and accepts all. The imitation Jesus will never hurt our feelings or make us uncomfortable. He is simply there to make us feel good about ourselves. He doesn't require anything of us other than letting him bless us and give us things that will ease whatever pain we may encounter. Well, to tell you the truth.......sometimes pain is the only thing a person has that lets them know they are truly alive. I know that sounds hard, but pain does serve a purpose.

One of my favorite singer/songwriters has a line in one of his songs that has stayed with me for many years....
.....And it's funny how pain can touch you. And it only makes you better, or it robs your heart and soul. All in all, it defines the separation between growing up and growing old."
Did you catch that?
Pain makes you better.....

How?
Pain can either drive us to Jesus to seek refuge and strength for whatever is causing the pain, or we take the words of Job's wife and simply "Curse God and die."
If life here on planet Earth is filled with pain and suffering (and I think it is) then I want a strong hand to lay hold of as I walk through my years. I want that precious nail-scarred hand of Jesus. I don't want pain...but I do want the genuine Jesus. I don't want some substitute religious looking Jesus as my savior. I want the one who went to the cross willingly. I want the Jesus who gave his back to the soldiers to be whipped and reduced to human rubble. I want the Jesus who cried out from the cross....."Father! Forgive them for they know not what they do." I have no need for an imitation Jesus. I have no need for an imitation salvation.

Matthew 4:16
The people who sat in darkness have seen a great light.
And those who lived in the land where death casts its shadow, a light has shined.

The revelation of Jesus fills this world and declares His glory and kingdom message.....
Don't settle for an imitation.
Don't live your life under the pain of sin.
Don't live your life under the penalty of sin.
Don't spend the rest of your days in the presence of sin..

Let the genuine Jesus lead you out.

God on you......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...