Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Very Last Words Given



Revelation 22:21
The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you all.....

Grace.....
Saved by Grace....
Amazing Grace.....
Grace, grace....wonderful grace....
James Ryles defines it as "The empowering presence of God, in my life, that enables me to be who I was created to be, and to do what I have been called to do."
Yet this word......."GRACE" is the very last thing mentioned in the Bible to those who are followers of Jesus. John the revelator writes that the grace of Jesus be with all believers.

These words are more than a flowery way to end the Scriptures. They are more than the closing of the book of Revelation. They are the very heart and soul of what I need to walk in this world today.

For too long I have carried on a love affair with Jesus and the world. My affections bounced back and forth from one to the other. I could worship like no ones business and then turn around and be strangely drawn to the baubles and shiny things the world has to offer. It was the grace of God that opened my heart to the truth and declared that I should love either Him or the world but not both. No, I haven't lost my mind, and I am not suggesting that we all move off to a mountain top, wearing brown robes and sandals, to grow a garden of organic vegetables. I am merely saying that we have to live in this fallen world and the only way to do so without being tainted or destroyed is to embrace this grace that God pours out so freely.

In recovery, we use the phrase..."It's about spiritual progress...not spiritual perfection.'  The mind of some one coming out of addiction is an "All or nothing" way of viewing recovery. It has to happen right now, this instant. They don't see or understand that it is a day to day walking out of the will of God in this new life that enables them to be free of the pull and tug of drugs and alcohol. It takes the presence of God, that would be God's grace, to start this journey and to stay the course.

Titus 2:11-12
For the grace of God has been revealed, bringing salvation to all people. And we are instructed to turn from godless living and sinful pleasures. We should live in this evil world with self-control, right conduct, and devotion to God.

Recovery is the result of a "heart change". It is the grace of God that opens my eyes to the reality of the life I have been living. It is the grace of God that points the way to Jesus as the only means of salvation from my addiction. It is the grace of God that empowers me, through the Holy Spirit who lives in me, to move daily in this new spiritual experience that frees me from the prison of darkness and gloom I have been living in. Jesus is my Higher Power, but it is His grace, given to me, that enables me to have this new life.

No wonder John Newton penned the words..........Amazing grace! How sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now am found. T'was blind but now I see.
These wonderful words are at the center of every salvation that takes place. Jesus found me in my 'lost-ness". He searched out and then reached out to retrieve me from the sure death that sin had judged me with and found guilty. I could not see even though my eyes were open. Deep inside, in my innermost being, I knew I was wretched and in need of a savior, but my heart wanted nothing to do with Jesus. Even in this, Jesus never gave up on me. I finally reached the place that the Scriptures refers to as being in Spiritual Poverty (Matthew 5:3). The Message Bible states Matthew 5:3 as Blessed are you when you are at the end of your rope...for there is less of you and more of Him. This is the place where the wonderful grace of God meets you.
Have you experienced the grace of God today?
Food for thought.
God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...