Tuesday, July 31, 2012

WAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

It's in the air...you can feel it.
It's everywhere, do you feel it?
Is it a subtle thought that follows us around all day, looking to unlock the hidden anger that dwells within?
Does it come forth at the least little thing that happens? That women in the express check out that has 21 items in her cart, knowing full well that you're only suppose to have 20. That tattooed, pierced punk who cut you off in traffic this morning and gave you the one finger salute. Sometimes i feel like Popeye. "That's all I can stands...I can't stands no more!" But that is the problem isn't it? This attitude and anger that wants to come out.


I keep going back to a truth that I read in Scripture.
God gives us a clear picture of the nature of humanity that will be revealed in what He refers to as "THE LAST DAYS."

Are we living in the last days? Good question. In fact people have been asking that question since Jesus departed good ol' planet Earth. "Are we living in the last days?"
Well, as John Wimber use to put it..."I don't know if we're living in the last days or not. But I know we're "last-er" than we've ever been." That was a sly way of saying,"Yes! My friend. We are truly living in the last days."

II Timothy 3 reads that In the last days, there will be difficult times. If you do a word study, you'll find that the word difficult is actually translated as being stressful. In other words, the events and situations and circumstances that arise as we draw closer to the time of Jesus' return will be of such magnitude, that our real hearts, or nature, will be revealed. Now, if you keep reading in II Timothy 3, you'll see a list character defects that are openly rampant in our society today. Usually when I touch on such things as character defects, someone will reply..."But Michael....people have always possessed such defects, have they not?" They have..... but never in my lifetime have I seen such an open display of them. Never in my lifetime have I seen such heartily approval of such defects as being of value to a person.  In other words, God's plan has included all along an uncovering of the hearts of humanity to reveal our need for Jesus more than ever.

Those of us who are followers of Jesus should not be surprised by the attacks against our beliefs. Jesus told us that we would be hated because He was hated. Such things get me riled up sometimes.....the intolerance...the vicious words against Jesus....but this "riling" up is my flesh. I keep hearing the words...."Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you........Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." I still have a lot of growing up to do.

The list of character defects in II Timothy 3:2 begins with People will love only themselves and their money. Love of self cannot co-habitate with the love for God. The two cannot live together in harmony, for love of self demands to have its way. The love for God demands that self be sacrificed. That is the hard part of working the Third Step of the Twelve Steps. Turning our will....the very heart of who we are...the part that demands allegiance to whatever desire and lusts come forth. No room for two kings to rule....the heart is ruled by "Self" until it is turned over to the care of God.
Take time to go down the list of character defects in II Timothy 3, and get real honest with yourself. Ask yourself, "Do I see any of them in me?" If the answer is yes, then take the time to repent and turn away from such attitudes and behaviors. Ask God to take this defect from you and then allow His Holy Spirit to transform you.
It's all a part of the journey....change!
It's all a part of growing up.....change!
It is about being born again.....change!
Hey.....let the change happen now, today...this minute.
I promise you won't regret it.


God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...