Monday, August 20, 2012

To My Friend, David



I know that I had written that I was going to take a few days off, but God had different plans.
I confess to you that this weekend was extremely hard, emotionally and physically. A good friend of mine died Saturday night.

I hate death.
I hate everything it stands for.
A whole industry was created because of death. Oh, I know it is a needed thing to have graveyards and funeral homes, but I hate death. The selling of caskets and cemetery plots  I know are all part of the process, but I hate death.
Death, on the surface, seems to mock the living.
It invades our homes and family and declares itself to be ruler as loved ones are taken away.  Taken away sometimes before we think they should be. I hate death.
But such a view of death is done so with eyes of "flesh".
Such a view of death can not be the reality if your heart is the heart of a follower of Jesus Christ.

To an unbeliever, death is seen as the final defeat in a life that was spent in pain, frustration, sorrow and without hope. Not so to those who believe.
Death's mastery over the human race was broken at the cross and at the tomb of Jesus. How can one defeat something unless they enter into battle with it. Jesus gave his life....He reached out from that cross and demanded that death come and get him. He gave his life. Once embraced by death, the power of God was manifested as Jesus shook off  death like filthy clothes, and walked out resurrected. He took the keys to death, hell and the grave.

To a follower of Jesus, death is merely the transitioning point, the crossing over, moving from one life to another. Jesus found this to be such an incredible experience that he ushers every believer into his presence at their own death.


Such belief is why this coming week as friends and family gather for my friends funeral, it will be a celebration.
Will we miss him? Sure we will.
Will there be tears? Yes. But they will be tears that are tinged and graced with the hope of God.
For you see, my good friend who now stands in the presence of Jesus knows the whole complete truth of what you and I only claim to believe.
My friend has had the veil removed and he no longer sees as in a glass darkly, but stands unfettered at the throne of God.

I Corinthians 15:54-55
When this happens---when our perishable, earthly bodies have been transformed into heavenly bodies that will never die, then at last the Scripture will come true.....
"Death is swallowed up in victory."
"O death ---where is your victory?"
"O death --- where is your sting?"

Well done, David. Enter into your rest, and I will see you shortly.
God on you......

mb




No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...