Friday, August 10, 2012

We Are Some Baaaaaaaad Sheep


Sometimes the simple things are the hardest to understand. Maybe because they are simple, we don't see the value in them. Maybe I suffer from TOKOGAE (Tree of knowledge of good and evil). I live under the delusion that everything is a mystery and very deep for my understanding. In other words, I'm trying to see the forest, but the trees keep getting in my way. I discovered long ago that the deep things of God are not really deep at all. I remember when serving as pastor at Gadsden Vineyard, people would come forward and ask for prayer that they may know the deeper things of God. It took me a while, but during my prayer time, God spoke to me and said,"Hey! Let's do the simple things and not worry about the mystery's.I've got that covered."

Psalm 23:1
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.
What an incredible verse. A verse that is very familiar and one that has been quoted over and over. Yet, very few actually live as if it were truth. First off, we see a view of the relationship we have received through our salvation.
God isn't the shepherd.....The LORD is.

I don't want to get into word-wrangling or try to twist anything but lets look at this.
The world cries out and professes their belief in God....

Yet very few have placed their lives in submission to Him. Only when we give ourselves (and live like it) over to His care do we have the right to call Him "LORD".  Luke 6:46 reads: "And why do you call Me, "LORD, LORD, and do not do what I say?" The right to proclaim Jesus as Lord, is evidenced by our willingness to follow Him and do what we have been called to do. So the idea that the Lord is my shepherd is one of position. He is over me. I am submitted to Him. Not in certain areas of my life, but the whole. I look to His guidance in every decision I have to make. As my wife so aptly puts it..."If He ain't talking...I ain't walking."

We see that if Jesus is Lord and I view Him as "MY" shepherd, then that would make me a sheep. I love this declaration by David in Psalm 23. Here we have the King of Israel. Ruler. Able to control a nation with a single command. A man of power and of war, yet with all the ability to govern a nation, he considers himself nothing more than one of God's sheep. Knowing that this is who he is, David can say emphatically...."The Lord is my Shepherd. I am under His care and guidance." Can you say that this morning? Is God your shepherd only in times of great need or distress? Or does He lead you every day in every way?

The shepherd was responsible for the well being of his flock. He lead them to the best pastures where they could graze. He made sure that there was ample water for them to drink. He fought off every predator that came looking to steal a sheep away from his flock. Jesus is referred to as the good shepherd. He wasn't a hireling only carrying out a job for money. He said that a good shepherd was willing to lay down his life to protect the flock. That is exactly what Christ did on the cross. His death brought eternal protection to all who are part of his flock.

The last part of Psalm 23:1 reads: I Shall not want. Let those words soak into your heart this morning. Do you find yourself in turmoil over wanting things or thinking that you can't live without a certain thing? Here is an eternal truth that will set you free from the desires for this world. When Jesus truly is made LORD of your life, and you can call Him your shepherd, then you can rest. Your mind can be at peace. Your heart can be at peace. It is an incredible place of trust and rest, even when you feel like the world is closing in on you. Your inward selfish wants or turned outward as you look to Christ to meet your needs. There isn't much I can lay claim to in this world, but I can truthfully say that God has supplied the needs of this family over the years. He has proved himself faithful and worthy to be trusted, not because He gives us "things". But because He is a God who is true to His word.

In a world whose mantra is "It's all about material possessions", I have found a place of peace where the Lord meets my needs. I don't have to struggle or worry. Jesus is my all sufficiency. His grace is sufficient. His love is overflowing. His mercy never fails. Don't forget that this is the same Jesus that took 5 fish sticks and two biscuits and fed 5000. I imagine he is still capable of doing the "Shepherd" thing.


God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...