Thursday, September 13, 2012

Daniel Made Up His MInd



Daniel 1:8-9
But Daniel made up his mind that he would not defile himself with the king's choice food or with wine which he drank; so he sought permission from the commander of the officials that he might not defile himself. Now God granted Daniel favor and compassion in the sight of the commander of the officials.

The battle we fight daily in our minds, is probably the hardest of all.
Decisions that must be made.
Decisions that affect every area of our lives.
This is especially true if you are walking a path that lies between addiction and recovery.
You may be drawn to recovery. Maybe you've even checked yourself into a rehab and are finding a new way to live.
As you travel through the Twelve Steps, the one thing you'll notice is something that is very important.
You can do them with a change of mind.....
or...
You can walk out those steps with a change of heart.
One, the change of mind, is you merely trying to exercise your own will and strength.
The other, change of heart, is you surrendering your complete being...body-soul-spirit- to the living God for Him to work in and through.

You may be thinking to yourself, "But the Scripture from Daniel says that "Daniel made up his mind."
If you read the book of Daniel, you'll see that he was completely given over to God.
From that place of being surrendered, making up your mind is not an act of self will or doing something in your own strength or ability. It is recognizing your limitations and weakness and turning to a Power greater than yourself who could restore you to sanity.

Many people enter the first step of the Twelve Steps and readily admit that they are powerless over their alcohol or drugs. They will openly admit that their lives have become unmanagable. But once that admission has taken place, they begin to work the steps through sheer self-will. I've said it once and I'll say it again (if need be)......."You cannot be the problem and the solution." If I am the problem, then the answer or solution must lie outside of myself.

Daniel found himself in a place that was beyond his control.
He found himself in a place that he never would have voluntarily went to.
He found himself occupying a position and job that he never would have picked for himself.

Yet from this place, Daniel, under the direction of God, made up his mind that he would not defile himself.
Once the decison was made, God granted Daniel favor with those around him. The word favor, actually means "GRACE". God gave Daniel grace to walk out the decision he had made.
God is still in the "GRACE" giving business and will freely give to those whose hearts are devoted to Him.


II Chronicles 16:9 reads For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His......
What a wonderful promise! God keeps me in his vision and under his protection no matter where I go. He does so when I have given my heart to Him. When I have, in answer to Him calling me unto salvation, said, "I'm yours, Lord. Come and fill me up." The verse says that He will not just support us.....but strongly support us. That means that when we become a saved or born again, God brings muscle and might into the picture to aid us in our decisions.

It is the indwelling of God's Holy Spirit that provides the power I need to be free from my addiction.
That is why Matthew 6:33 tells us.....
Seek first His Kingdom and righteousness.
Seek first the rule and reign of God in my heart...in my mind...and in my life.
And all these things will be added to you.
What things....
My needs.
What is my greatest need now that I'm a believer....
To be empowered to walk out these steps.


May you find God today and may He become more real to you than ever before.
I can't tell you how grateful I am to everyone who stops by the Greene Street Letters to read the daily posting.

My prayer is that there may be one thing you read that will help you today.
Something that God will use to give you hope.


God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...