Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Forgetfulness Or Wilfull Disobedience?



Sometimes it is very hard to read scripture and not see yourself in every line or hidden away behind some verse. Of course when we run across something hard or to the point, we want to look at it with selective vision. After all, we are told in Scripture that it was given for examples. Sometimes those examples are "how not to do" something.

From time to time, I come across different verses which tell of the Israelites inability to follow directions. More than just not being obedient, they seemed to be defiant and, as the Bible puts it..."Stiff-necked".  I think that term, stiff-necked, is kin to the Southern-ism of "Bowing up." In other words....there was a portion of pride, coupled with a dash of stubbornness, wrapped up in a heaping of willful disobedience thrown in for good measure. In other words, we see the fruit of the fall of man moving down through the ages and generations, not losing any momentum at all.
Such behavior is common today as people reject God to turn to their own ways, bringing destruction and misery upon themselves.

In Judges 3:7. we read...The Israelites did what was evil in the LORD's sight. They forgot about the LORD their God, and they worshiped the images of Baal and the Asherah poles.  Now when it says that they "forgot about God," what it really means is that they turned their back on Him. Rejected Him to pursue the sinful desires of their dark hearts. Such actions and intent always lead to no good, doesn't it? Sure it does.

I read those verses about Israel's "forgetfulness" and I think to myself, "Man! They really messed up. How could they do such a thing? Turn you back on God! You've got to be kidding me!" Then I suddenly realize the potential that lives within me. Some may disagree with what I am about to write, but I know that it is true. God's Spirit that lives within me, strengthens me and empowers me, is the only thing that keeps my old nature in check. That old sin nature tries to rear its head from time to time but the Holy Spirit puts him down. When I read the verses that tell of the disobedience of the Israelites, I give thanks to God that He lives in me and keeps me on the right path. You see, I've come to the conclusion that there isn't much difference between me and those Israelites, if you take God out of the equation. I think maybe that is why it says....For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Now I can truly rejoice that God is a "making up" God. By that, I mean that whatever the shortness is that I have fallen to, God makes it up through the saving grace imparted to me. It is his free gift and offer of salvation to ol' stinky (me) that makes up this separating distance and puts me in right relationship with Him. That, my friend, is the good news.

Have you had much good news in your life?
As Larry Norman so aptly put it...."What don't you check into Jesus, He's got the answers."


God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...