Saturday, September 8, 2012

NiCad's For Jesus! I Get A Charge

Saturday! Just the sound of the word makes me smile. I've made it through another week. If I look out my window, I see that my yard is mowed. Even as I sit here at my computer, typing out this post, I can hear the percolator "thumping and chugging" to prepare me my first cup of coffee. Saturday.

Saturday is my Sunday. Huh?
Saturday is the day I go to church. I've done it so long now (14 years) that it has just seems normal.
No, I'm not a Seventh Day Adventist. I'm just trying to hear God and be obedient to what He has called me to.

Back in '98...(that 1998 by the way) when we started our recovery focused church, we felt God leading us to hold our services on Saturday night. In some ways, to take back a night that had been dedicated to the devil. People in addiction used Saturday night for extended binges. It was a night to party. You could even say, the devil held his church on Saturday nights. Early on, as we began to meet on Saturday, I had a couple who were part of our leadership bring me a verse that they felt was kind of a defining to what we were doing. Psalm 134 - Behold, bless the LORD, all servants of the LORD who stand by night in the house of the LORD. Lift up your hands to the sanctuary and bless the LORD. May the LORD, bless you from Zion, He who made heaven and earth. 

When we first moved to Rapha and started a meeting, we were given Sunday morning as our time slot.

It just didn't work. The men would come in, some sleepy and not wanting to be there. Others scratching their heads not understanding the type of service we were having. This went on for two years. I don't know, maybe God was seeing if we'd be faithful and obedient during this time. But in May of 2008, we made the move to Saturday night and we haven't looked back.

Saturday is a time when Vicki and I get our batteries recharged. We get to meet with people we love and worship in song and Word. We get to be a part of the group and receive from God. Like I said, we get our batteries recharged. We get to see God move in a group of people who are not very familiar with His ways. We get to see people saved.
We get to see people healed.
We have our own souls strengthened, and we receive healing both physically and emotionally.

One of the passages always points me to Saturday night is found in the book of Isaiah.
Isaiah 40:31 --  Yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength (or renew their strength) They will mount up on wings like eagles. They will run and not get tired. They will walk and not become weary. That's the way I feel after we finish on Saturday night. It never fails. As I am the last one leaving the building, I always take a moment before I leave the room and just ponder on what had happened. The Way God moved on the men. Tears that were shed because of the goodness and faithfulness of God. I always think to myself, "Wow! God, you are incredible and to think you let us be a part of your Kingdom. How are you going to top this meeting?"  You know what? He does it every week. Why does God come each Saturday night? Because the room becomes filled with hearts who are hungry to meet Him. That's why.

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...