Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Rainy Random Rumblings From A Tired Mind


Rainy Tuesday Morning.
Slipped on my old walking shoes, grabbed up an umbrella and walked out into the rain to get the morning paper for my wife. The only sounds in the house are from the coffee pot as it chugs and sputters to bring forth that morning delight.
I love the mornings.

On the couch, sitting next to each other. Praying and sharing random thoughts about the day that was, looking forward to the day ahead. Such are the mornings at the Bynum household.

I spoke at the North Glencoe Singles meeting last night. I've been going there for 8+ years. They are a pretty incredible group of people. They have a heart for worship and for others. It is a warm, friendly meeting that just draws you in. God had me teach on "Growing up in a dark time."
I Thessalonians 5:9-11 (Message Bible)
God didn't set us up for an angry rejection but for salvation by our Master, Jesus Christ. He died for us, a death that triggered life. Whether we're awake with the living or asleep with the dead, we're alive with him! So speak encouraging words to one another. Build up hope so you'll all be together in this, no one left behind. I know you're already doing this; just keep on doing it.

Growing up in this relationship with Jesus, involves becoming connected to a community of like-minded believers. God never created us to be "loners." Isolation is a tool of the devil, because if he can cut you away from the company of others, he can warp your thinking and your heart. He can create scenario;'s in your mind that will justify your using and your isolation.
"They don't understand me.....they don't love me."
"I'm not hurting anyone."
"I like being by myself."
All of these are arrows that the devil fires directly into an addictive heart and an addictive brain. They are poison.
They are death.

As the moral compass of this nation continues to lie broken and in disrepair, now more than ever we need to be surrounded by like minded people. People who are in love with Jesus. In love with His word. And empowered by His presence to face life and move forward. There is strength in numbers. There is safety in surrounding ourselves with a community that understand what we've gone through and what we are going through. That is why I hold a meeting at Rapha on Saturday nights. It is a place where you can come and be connected. I make no pretense or apology to our meetings. It is Christ-centered and we proclaim the name and person of Jesus. He is the HIGHER POWER that is written about in Step #2. He alone has defeated the power of addiction that is a fruit from the root of sin in our lives. He shattered the penalty of this fruit. A penalty that comes because we have partaken of it....eaten it....and disobeyed God. He loves us so much that he, Jesus, stepped in front of us and took the punishment meant for us. He took the full weight of God's wrath and hatred for sin so that we wouldn't have to.

He took the nails....
He took the cross....
He took the humiliation and the curses....
He took our place so that we could experience the tremendous love that God has for us.
That is why those 12 Steps work....
Jesus!
Let me say it again....That is why those 12 Steps work..........Jesus.

I John 2:28 - And now, children, stay with Christ. Live deeply in Christ. Then we'll be ready for him when he appears, ready to receive him with open arms, with no cause for red-faced guilt or lame excuses when he arrives.

As Larry Norman said, "Why don't you check into Jesus.......He's got the answers!"

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...