Sunday, September 23, 2012

Tell Me Where It Hurts


Mark 2:17
When Jesus heard this, he told them, "Healthy people don't need a doctor---sick people do. I have come to call sinners, not those who think they are already good enough."

Without the daily medicine given to me by Dr. Jesus, I would be a perverted mess.
Some days I love the medicine...then some days it seems as though the sickness in me whispers to me and says..."Not today---don't take it today----you can do without it." I know better.

It's a sin-sickness that will affect my heart and my mind and lead me into choices that are not spiritually healthy. In fact the problems that most people face daily, are a result of not having this sin-sickness dealt with.

I find it strange that in the verse from Mark chapter 2, Jesus says, "I have come to call sinners." He didn't say, "I've come to heal sinners....." The healing comes when surrender takes place and you answer the call to follow Jesus.

Healing begins, and continues, as you daily move away from listening to that old voice that kept you in spiritual darkness, and listen to God's Spirit inside leading you in a new way of living.
I'm always amazed at the stories I hear when I visit a Celebrate Recovery. Stories from people who say, "I never thought life could be like this. I never thought I could break free from my addiction." Jesus will put some medicine on you that soap can't take off.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good service last night.
We kind of did things backwards in the order of the service.
Began with teaching and worshipped at the end.
Spoke on Step # 2 ---

It occurred to me as I studying, that step # 2 is where we came to believe in a Power greater than ourselves that could restore us to sanity. Well, I hear so many people who look at this step and then say, "I don't know if this Power will work for me." As you listen to them, you hear a lot of doubt and fear about going back to their old lifestyle. It occurred to me that they didn't really have a problem believing there was a power who could destroy their life. A power that could lead them to do things, say things and live in a way they never imagined they would. That power being the devil. I guess part of the power is a kind of blindness that comes with the addiction.
Part of the strength of this power is its ability to blind the mind and heart to the truth.

But hear me......
There is....current, not past.
A Power that is greater than the deceitful power of our enemy, who can restore...bring about the needed change to move me forward in my sobriety, to sanity. Sanity, the ability to make sound decisions.

I've heard it say that the insanity that is a hallmark of all addiction, does not occur during times of using. The insane thinking takes place during the times of sobriety...when your only thought is getting high one more time, even though you know fully well of the destruction it will cause. That is insane thinking. That is what I need to be restored from.

Of course when we speak of a Higher Power, we are referring to Jesus Christ. So if I am coming to believe in a Power that can restore me to sanity, then I want to know that this power is capable of doing such a task. I want to know that this power has ability and awareness that are far beyond my own. How do I move to understand that Jesus is capable? Trust. Trust in Him and His ability. He will not fail you or leave you. He will not let you down or disappoint you. He is the POWER above all power. No matter what the lower level power guys may try to sell you, Jesus is beyond their capabilities. He moves in truth and truth is the ultimate power.

Why not look to him today and let him throw the switch in your life so his power can restore you?
God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...