Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Week That Was.....Was what? I Don't Know.

Sunday Morning....
Slept late this morning....got up at 5 a.m. (that's late for me).

Sunday is a day to rest for the Bynum household. A day to recharge, renew and revisit some things that happened the week before.

Monday last
New guys coming into the program at Rapha. You never know what's going to happen. Over the years, and through my being a Vineyard pastor, I am aware that there are ebbs and flows to the work and presence of God. I have been drawn to revisit some "old" teachings from my Vineyard past. It is as if God is calling me to remember my roots and where I have come from. Thank you, Lord.

Tuesday last
Bible study was particularly powerful. Taught on the Kingdom of God. The intervention of God, through Jesus, into our time and space. The declaration of war on the kingdom of Satan and how God used a combination of Word and Power to demonstrate His kingdom. I John 3:8 tells us that Jesus came to "Destroy the works of the devil." What are the works? Any deed, behavior or attitude that emanates from our sin nature. Example: Addiction. I'm sorry! I'm just crazy enough to believe that God is still in the destroying business and since he has a mad on against sin (not the sinner, unless the sinner refuses to change) He is all about rescuing those trapped by addiction.

Wednesday last
God shows up! During my morning teaching we had a moment where God became very real to one of the men. The guy was struggling because of legal stuff that had suddenly appeared on the scene. He knew he was going to have to deal with it and it even may mean a return to jail. The teaching for the day included learning to hear God. So as I was teaching, I wrote this man's name down on a sheet of paper, along with "The color green". I did this so that no one could actually see what I was writing. I kept teaching and moved my way over to this man. I told him to close his eyes and bow his head. I asked him, "You don't really believe God will talk to you, do you?" He fumbled for an answer. I knew that he was newly saved and truly did desire to move on in this relationship with God, but this legal beast that had reared its ugly head was beating him down. I then told him that God was going to reveal a color in mind, and to tell me what color he saw....he slowly said the word..."Green". I then went back to the front and showed him the paper with his name and the word "Green" on it. It changed everything for him. God had spoken to him. I told him that green was the color for new life. That he needed to be aware of what God was doing in moving him into a new life.
That afternoon, the man came to my office all excited. He had been on the phone with the people he needed talk to about his charges, and everything had been taken care of. How cool was that? This guy has run into the real-deal God and has seen the power of prayer. It all began with a simple color of green. Thank you Lord!

Thursday last
Spent the afternoon preparing the music for Saturday nights service. "What would you like to hear, Lord?" Always the most important thing in worship. The music isn't about what I want to hear, or what the group may want to hear, but what does God want. My years at the Vineyard gave me a wonderful insight into the heart of worship and how it stirs God. The Bible tells us that God inhabits the worship of His people. Isn't that a great picture? God coming down to be in the middle of His people when the collectively gather and worship him. Some translations say that God puts on the praises of His people like a coat. I like that. Seems as if Saturday night will be a night of proclamation to the greatness of God.

Friday last
I was suppose to be off this day but it didn't work out. I think maybe it was a God-thing. I wound up teaching the morning class, and really wasn't prepared for it, but God had different plans. As I was praying about what to do, I felt that I was to simply share my story. So for the first hour, I tracked my journey with God, the ups and the downs, the good and the bad. Even though it is my story, it almost sounds like some science fiction novel of how God has been faithful through out the years. The 2nd hour of teaching, I played a CD of John Wimbers story......."I'm a fool for Christ, who's fool are you?" It funny, even though John has been dead for 15 years......even though I never met the man personally....every time I hear his voice, I am filled with gratitude for what God brought through him. It was a good day, capped off by a trip to Samford University to hear my grandson, Tyler, sing with the Alabama State Children's Choir. He was one of two picked from his school to participate in this. Was I a proud Popa or what?

Last Night: Saturday
I always struggle on Saturday's. Been that way since I became a pastor. I am ready for the service, but a voice keeps whispering...."You didn't do enough. You didn't study enough, you didn't pray enough. You call yourself a pastor." Hey, I know the voice isn't from God, and I think God allows it to whisper to keep me aware of my need for Him. All the worship team was there....Debbie, Wayne, Barry, Deb and my wife, Vicki. Vicki doesn't play an instrument and she doesn't stand up front with the team. But believe me, she is an integral part of our worship. IF ever there was a model to use as "how to worship", my wife is it. She gets completely lost in worship. As she puts it...."When I start to worship, everyone and everything in the room disappears and it is just God and me." She sings....she uses everything in her as she stands before God. She will get down on her knees. She will sing prophetically. She will laugh out loud. She is a worshiper!

Now here we are, Sunday.
I will go to Grace Covenant Church this morning and speak. Always a pleasure to take this trip. It has been a good week. This afternoon, I'll come home to a pot of homemade vegetable soup and cornbread that my wife prepared. We will settle in for football and naps. It has been a good week and tomorrow, we'll saddle up and do it all over again.
Thank you, Lord!


God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...