Monday, September 24, 2012

What's In A Name?

Philippians 2:9-11
Because of  this, God raised him up to the heights of heaven and gave him a name that is above every other name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, in heaven and o earth and under the earth, and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Growing up, a kid usually had a nickname. You were either among the elite and had a cool name, or you were part of the nameless rabble that was labeled with a useless moniker. I fell into the second category...nameless rabble.  "Tubby"...."Fatty"......and other such symbols of affection from my peers, endeared me to them, and them to me. Truth be known, a nickname was a way of knowing that you were accepted. You were part of the group now!

I wanted something more...a cooler nickname. I was surrounded by "Swifty" and "Brutus". There was "Heat" and "Flash"...now those were cool names. There was "Rabbit" and "Bee-dee" (to be truthful, I never knew what Bee-dee stood for, I just knew it was cool). The name itself was given due to some physical trait, or something that you had done that caused those around you to pause and go.."hmmmmm..." Names stuck through the growing up years, but as we aged, those nicknames seem to fall away and we took our place in adulthood.

Names are important in Scripture. They reflect the character and nature of an individual. Abram's name was changed to Abraham. Sarai to Sarah. Jacob to Israel and even in the New Testament we see Simon being changed to Peter. But when it comes to the name that stands above all others............that title belongs to the one and only Jesus.

For a child (Jesus) is born to us, a son is given to us. And the government will rest upon his shoulders. And he will be called.....Wonderful......Counselor.....Mighty God.....Everlasting Father....Prince of Peace.....
Those are worthy names that reflect the nature and character of Jesus. Those names instill faith in me that Jesus is capable of carrying out what is needed in my life to ensure that with my focus on Him, I will not return to an old lifestyle of bondage and slavery to sin.

What kind of names did the world give to you as you struggled with your addiction?
Loser.....
Liar.....
Thief.....
Junkie.....
Cheat......
and many others that drove us deeper down into guilt, depression and shame.
With the name of Jesus rolling off our lips as we cried out to him......He brought to bear the nature of every name given to him, to rescue us and set us on a firm foundation.
Now here's the deal...........this Jesus is either who he says he is.........
or he's a liar and we should totally disregard him.
I happen to fall on the side of believing him....He is Lord.

Jesus is also referred to as "The Lion of the tribe of Judah".....and "The Lamb of God." Seems like those two names are in contention doesn't it? Lion? Lamb? Which is he? Well, it depends on your relationship with him. As a child of God, one who is saved, he is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. The one who died in my place, a perfect sacrifice for my sin. The Bible says that he was lead to the slaughter (the cross) like a lamb to the shearers. He never said a word or gave a defense, but went willingly and gave his life.  As the "Lion of the tribe of Judah"....that is the side and character of Jesus that will come to settle the "Sin" accounts of those who have rejected him and turned their backs on salvation. I think, between the two, I'll choose the "Lamb."

I like what it says in Revelation 2:17 -.......And I will give to each one a white stone, and on the stone will be engraved, a new name that no one knows except the one who receives it.
How cool is that? Jesus has a name reserved for me. A name that will be presented if I press on and don't quit. Wonder what my name will be? It really doesn't matter, because it is Jesus' gift to me (and to all who have been saved). A new name to reflect my new nature.
What a gift?


God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...