Friday, October 19, 2012

Choose This Day



Joshua 24:15
Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve.......
But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord......

Good morning....
Time to rise and shine....
Or are you one of those that it takes all you have to rise....forget about the shining part.

Not a morning person.
No matter.
But consider this.
You got up this morning with an incredible gift.
You got up sober and clean.
When your eyes opened and you met the day, you were already ahead of the curve.
How many mornings came and you were hung over?
Even worse, how many mornings came, you hadn't been to bed and you were still using or drinking?
Every morning, no matter what your state, sober or high, begins with the same thing.
You have a choice.

Funny part in all of this...
By not verbally choosing one way or the other, you made your choice.
You have a choice.
The Big book of A.A. says that all you need to become a member is "the desire to stop."
Don't listen to the addiction.
It will tell you that you can't survive without your d.o.c.

Kind of funny, but you know....In the 14+ years I have been at Rapha....I don't know of anyone who died of sobriety.
That voice that whispers to you, your addiction, lies.


This morning you were able to get up and face the day.
Now, your job is to maintain this gift.

If you sleep 8 hours a night, then lets subtract that from the 24 day.
That leaves you with 16 hours that you can maintain this gift of sobriety.
16 hours....
I think you can do this.
I know you can do this.

Today can be the first day of your new life.
Maintaining my sobriety means that I find a meeting to go to.
Surrounding myself with others who are on this journey is an important step that will aid me in keeping this gift I have been given.

Talking and sharing my struggles and battles will free me from the thoughts that roll around in my brain.
I think you can do this...

Today can be "Day 1" in what will be a new way of living.
I would like to close this posting with the declaration we say after every class at Rapha.

Because of Christ's redemption
I am a new creation of infinite worth.
I am deeply loved

I am fully pleasing
I am completely forgiven
I am totally accepted by God
I am absolutely complete in Christ.

When my performance reflects this new identity in Christ
That reflection is dynamically unique.
There has never been another person like me in the history of mankind

Nor will there ever be

God has made me an original
One of a kind person
A special person
And so are you!

God on you this day....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...