Thursday, October 18, 2012

Dull For Jesus? I Don't Think So

There is a belief that I carry around with me every day. The belief that you are who you surround yourself with.
I didn't come up with it or think it into existence out of nothing. But this statement has followed me for a number of years, and has served me well.
If I surround myself with good people who are hungry for God, then I will be sharpened by their hunger. I will find myself striving for the things that they strive for. I will find myself thinking about the things that they consider to be important. More than any of what I have written, when I surround myself with good people, I have the opportunity to help them, encourage them and, as the verse puts it............sharpen them.

As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.
I enjoy meeting and talking with others on this road to recovery. I enjoy their stories of the struggles and battles they have fought and won. There are also lessons to be learned in the struggles in which they lost. But it is in the telling and hearing of such stories that we are moved from a place of dullness to being razor sharp. Once again energized for the journey, we can continue in our daily walk with the knowledge that we are not alone.

I have a dear friend and brother who comes to see me each week on Wednesday. I look forward to that day and our meeting because he sharpens me. We talk about the events of the past week, where we are spiritually and the struggles we are facing. The one thing that I enjoy the most.........we aren't having a pity party where we sit around feeling sorry for ourselves and our lot in life. It is a time to be uplifted, to encourage each other to not give up or quit the fight. Such times as this are payday for me. It lets me know that this stuff really works and there are others out there who are walking out the steps every day.

This is the reason that it is so important to not just attend meetings, but to become connected with those who also attend. Celebrate Recovery........A.A. Meetings and perhaps the most important meeting of all...........a local church assembly. The more people I can surround myself with who are not just attending meetings, but living and breathing this journey with Christ, the better off I will be. It will seem awkward at first...you will feel like an outsider....such feelings are normal. But as you continue to go back that will fade and you will become a regular. Stay away from meetings and you become....(are you ready for this?) An irregular. BWahhhhh!!!!

Don't listen to the voice in your head that gives you a gazillion reasons why you don't need to go to meetings. That voice is lying. Get up! Go! Be a part! And let those others sharpen you.
What do you say?


God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...