Tuesday, November 6, 2012

And I'm Crying Again



Music has been and will always be an important part of my life.
I make no boast or pretensions about my ability as a guitarist. i am a hack guitarist. I enjoy playing, I enjoying playing with other guitarist,and I have been blessed and fortunate over these past 30 years to have been given the privilege of playing with some pretty good people.


To me, the greatest blessing was coming to Jesus when I did. It was in the early days of what we now call Contemporary Christian Music. I've always hated that term for some reason. I tend to agree with Stephen Chapman, formally of the group DOGWOOD, who named the music..."Journey Music."
The people who were writing and recording back in the day had an edge to their music. The message was pointed and struck the heart. It made you think and consider your own life. Maybe this was a by product of the 1960's and the uncertainty in our country. Big changes were taking place and it would less than a decade when we entered the "ME" years. That period of time where we, as a  nation, move toward a life of being self centered. As with many things, being self-centered leaves little or no room for Jesus. When this takes place, you have the recipe for disaster.

This song that I have loaded into today's posting is from Mark Heard.
Mark was one of those gifted songwriters whose beliefs and vision poured out in the music he wrote and sang. He saw the destruction that was headed our way if we continued on the same course the nation seemed to be on. One of the great lines from this song, says, "The masses ride their passions with the throttle in their hands. Nobody knows....what is waiting around the bend."

I am grateful for the men and women who are still out there writing songs from their heart. Putting down in line and note, the hard things that need to be said for us to hear.
I find myself crying a lot.
Crying for this generation, lost and adrift on a sea of addiction.
I cry for those who have simply given up and have grown deaf and cold to the gospel.

I cry.
But I don't give up.
I will share what Christ has done for me.
I will love those who reject Him and His message.

I will play songs in the key of "E".
And I will sing my prayers unto the Lord.
God is good.
Every day.
Every way.


God on you...
mb
 

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...