Friday, November 2, 2012

Do You Need A Genesis Event?


Life is a series of firsts....
Life is a series of beginnings.

Our first steps....
Our first bike ride without the training wheels....
First kiss...
First love....

Sometimes, the "firsts" that we experience are not good.
The first high...
Our first drunk....
The first time we were arrested.....

Our first divorce......
Our first rehab.....

Life is a series of situations and circumstances that seem to be random in order and happenstance at best.
But behind it all.....stands the choices we make.
we create the events, good or bad, by the choices that we lay hold of.
No matter which, good or bad, There is a POWER at work that wants to help us in our choices.
That POWER would be God.


I love the way the Bible opens in Genesis 1:1.
Ten little words that make a statement that seems to scream...."Here it is! Here is the truth! What are you going to do with it?"
".......In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." What must it have been like to see that take place. In my mind's eye, I see explosions of such magnitude that the human mind could not conceive it. I see swirling gases and lights of all colors and hues.....Planets being flung into place and orbit by an unseen voice that simply spoke. God at His best, doing what He does best........Creating.
You see, it's very simple.
Either this God stuff is true....

Or it isn't.....
Now for a moment, let your heart dwell on the possibility that God is who He claims to be....
Let your heart rest on the thought that God can do what He claims He can do.
This God of Genesis...
The God, whose very words stir matter and time and space and cause them to obey Him, wants to speak into your life.
To take the chaos and destruction of sin and addiction and not only remove it but bring order and peace....
Would that not be a worthy thing to explore and ask for?
To simply say, with your own voice...."God, I give up. I need a Genesis moment in my life. I have sinned against you and I know that my life is in trouble here and now, and that if I don't change, my fate is found in hell, eternally separated from you and all that you offer. God, I need you to speak forgiveness and restoration into my very being...to the center of who I am and let it radiate outward into new behaviors and attitudes. I give myself up today...my will and my life and ask for your salvation....I acknowledge you, Jesus, as my Lord and Savior. In your name I pray....Amen....


And if you listen....
If you listen, really close...
You just might hear God say....
"Let there be Salvation for this one..."

Wowzers!

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...