Saturday, November 3, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Gospel


It's that time of year again.....
Leaf time....
Raking time....
Sweating time....
Hauling to the front of the yard time....
I don't mind though.
I spent yesterday fighting the great leaf battle on Greene Street.
All my neighbors participate in the skirmish.
Verlon, who lives across the street, has an attachment for his riding lawnmower, so it doesn't take him much time at all to clear his yard.
Red, who lives two houses down, well, he's a kind of "Get-er-done" fellow. Slow, determined, enjoys the fight. He usually is up on Sunday morning, early, blowing his yard and driveway off.
Couple of newlyweds live next door to me....
Way too much energy....
But their leaf battle is a family affair....Them...grandparents to their daughter...all out there working like a hive of bees to move mother natures dandruff (leaves) out to the road so that the leaf fairies can come and whisk them away.
My other next-door neighbor has young, strapping boys in his family. Guess who does leaf detail? Yep. The strapping boys. Which is the correct way to do the leaf thing. Have boys. Raise them. Let them rake and blow and haul. I hate to break the news to my neighbor, but those boys grow up and leave home,eventually buying houses for themselves. If they're smart, they won't have trees on their property.

Me?
I use my truck.
My backyard is pretty big, so I pull my truck around to use it to haul the leaves off.
Place an old sheet in the bed of the truck, loading it up with the leaf-al offering...then driving to the street, I simply pull the sheet from the bed, along with the leaves. Snazzy huh? Work smarter...not harder...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 1:2
But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in his law he meditates day and night.

To me, to delight in something is to love it. To savor it. To find great value in in it. This is how I feel about the Word of God.......the Bible. It truly is the compass through which God speaks to me. It is the guide and direction through which the Holy Spirit shows me what to do when I am without answer.
To value it, means to do more than simply read it.
It means more than a simple devotional reading.
It means to meditate on it. Ponder it. Roll it over and let it sink deep into my spirit.

To me, and I know this is a pretty dumb example, the word of God is like taking that first bite of my wife's pumpkin pie. I have waited and waited for her to bake one and then the day finally arrives. There is the pie sitting on the counter. I cut myself a slice, placing in on a plate, and with my fork, I take a small bite. Once in my mouth, I don't swallow it without chewing it. And I don't just chew it to swallow it. I let it sit there on my tongue, rolling it around to get all the flavor. I savor it. I enjoy the moment.

That is how the Word of God is read by me.
I savor it.
I love reading something that I may have read a million times, but on this particular reading, the Holy Spirit shows me something I haven't seen or picked up on before.

I truly do delight in the word of God.
My prayer is that you find the Psalm 2 truth for yourself.
It will change your life in a way you never dreamed of.

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...