Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas Thoughts....

Random thoughts and ruminations this morning....
I came away from our candlelight service last night full of gratitude and thankfulness that God has given us another year. The room was awash in the soft glow of candles as we sang "You have Redeemed my soul from the pit of emptiness," realizing that the majority of men in that chapel should have already been dead. It wasn't fate, or karma....it wasn't the luck of the draw or the roll of the dice. The planets didn't line up in some sort of cosmic convergence that brought about this extended life that should have already ended....it was because God Almighty himself declared that he wasn't finished with them.


Today is my wife's birthday!!! She was a Christmas baby, born at the doctor's office....didn't make it to the hospital. Because she was born on the 22nd...I've tried to make her birthday special and separate from Christmas. Growing up, she told me that her relatives would give her a present and tell her..."This can be your birthday and Christmas present!" Bummer....
So when we started dating and eventually tied the proverbial marriage knot, I promised her that no longer would she suffer that "Twin present" syndrome. With each passing day, I am learning what real love truly is. Happy Birthday Vicki!!!!

My family has come down with the crud that seems to be going around. They are in different stages of crud-dom. Some on the upswing...some in the valley of "I just want to pull the covers over my head and sleep." So our family hoo-ha is up in limbo at this time. We will eventually gather for a meal and memories....just not yet.

By the way....
If you're looking for something to start your Christmas off on the right foot....
My good friend, Todd Bagley will be holding a "Come and go" communion on Christmas eve at the Gadsden Vineyard Church, located downtown Gadsden on Broad Street across from Gadsden Variety store. I think it begins at 4 p.m. It is a wonderful time to stop by and take communion. It is a very special time and a piece of our Christmas tradition.


I've got to make it to Wal-mart today and buy some tangerines...
In the Bynum household, Christmas doesn't officially start until ol' Dad has eaten a tangerine.
Growing up...Christmas was different. That is a kind way of saying that you didn't get a lot of presents, not like some kids do today. One of the highlights was our Christmas stocking...It would always be chocked full of fruit and nuts and peppermint sticks. My most favorite fruit was tangerines...so I have always equated them with Christmas.


Well, the coffee has finished perking and so have I.
From our household to yours...here is wishing you Jesus....
Whether you receive a gazillion presents or not...
Whether your Christmas is picture perfect of a quiet evening with family and friends...
We wish for you the knowledge and wisdom of a renewed relationship with Jesus Christ.

Merry Christmas from the "B's" in Attalla.

God on you....
mb

1 comment:

Bobby said...

Enjoy your tangerines mb!

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...