Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I'm Walking....Yes, Indeed


Genesis 5:24
And Enoch walked with God.......

What does it mean to "Walk with God?"
You hear that term, "Walk", all the time if you go to church or you do a lot of reading of the modern pastors/teachers.
To me, the term "Walk" means that as we move through our day, we live our lives....make our choices.....based on what Scripture tells us. It's not simply keeping the rules, or the do's and don'ts of the Bible...it is a change of heart through this new relationship I have with Christ (some call it being born again).
God clearly defines the boundaries of this relationship. When I remain within those boundaries....I am given the grace and blessings of God to move through this life without fear of turning to my old ways again. In fact, the longer I walk in this new life, the farther and farther my old life moves away from my thoughts, and my heart.

To those who are caught between addiction and this new life of recovery, the old lifestyle screams at them, telling then that recovery is a life of bondage. Bondage to do things that will limit and restrict the choices of the old life. Truth be known, the two lives are not compatible and will never coexist with one another. One has to die so the other can live. But addiction lies to the human mind telling it that the Twelve Steps are nothing more than a prison.
1.) You'll never have fun again...
2.) You'll be miserable forever.....
3.) You'll give up your right to run your life.....
How insane is that line of thinking, yet many have listened to it and walked away into the darkness only to be destroyed by their addiction.

Here are some things that I have learned over the years in my own relationship with Christ.
1.) Walking with God is a blessing. It isn't binding or restrictive in any way. In fact, it opens me up to see and live in ways I never thought were possible. God's boundaries for us actually promote life....not death.

2.) Walking with God means that we have "abundant" life here and now....and eternal life upon our death. In other words...it is a "win-win" way of living.

It is very common for someone struggling with their addiction to rebel against any and all help that would point them in a new way to live. To rebel against God's word and His offer of real life is something that each person must face. Walking with God means that we are rescued from the power of sin that keeps us in our old lifestyle.

My prayer today:
Lord, we repent of rejecting the boundaries of Your Word in our lives and relationships. Help us to be obedient and walk with You, and not against You.
In Jesus Name....
Amen....


God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...