Friday, January 25, 2013

Milk, Eggs and Bread, Oh My!

"Freezing Rain!!!"
"What?"

"You didn't hear? James Span said we were going to have "Freezing Rain" this morning?"
These words floated over our state yesterday and, I'm sure this morning. Driving home last night, I heard on the radio school after school announced that they would be starting classes later than normal. Why? Freezing Rain of course.
Stopped by Poppa John's to pick up a pizza, only to see Walmart alive and well with the proverbial "milk, bread, and egg" buyers. Stocking up for the great storm of 2013. (you know that ever since the blizzard of '93 we swore to ourselves we'd never be caught off guard again.)

It's like everyone goes into "Weather" mode at the first mention of any kind of threatening weather event. Preparation and preparedness are the catch words.
All of this hub-bub lead me to remember a passage from scripture.

From Matthew 16:1-3
Then the Pharisees and Sadducee's came and testing Him asked that He would show them a sign from heaven. He answered and said to them, "When it is evening you say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red'; and in the morning, 'it will be foul weather today, for the sky is red and threatening.' Hypocrites! You know how to discern the face of the sky, but you cannot discern the signs of the times."

I see this clearly in our society today. The importance of being prepared for Jesus' return has fallen out of favor and been relegated to the bin of useless information. It is considered to be among the fairy-tales and allegories of life. I don't know that many actually believe that He is coming back. With that thought so prevalent in our society, no one is preparing for His return. We lounge on our spiritual beds of ease and live for the day, feeding our appetites on whatever they desire. We have become foolish children. We have placed our bets and our lives on the foolish notion of a God who is all loving and all encompassing of this world...by that, I mean that there are some who truly believe that everyone gets to go to heaven..no matter what. I wish I could find that in my Bible.......but it just isn't in there. IF that be the case, then why did Jesus have to die and spill his blood? Why not just issue everyone a golden ticket and then take them up at His return?

We all love the John 3:16 passage: For God so LOVED the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have ever lasting life. Catch word in that verse......BELIEVES. To say that you believe means more than a mental ascent to the thought. It means more than a verbal confession of a truth. To believe means that you cling to....lay hold of.....trust in....be connected to....this truth. In other words, your very life reflects the evidence of what you believe in. I see many who can make the statement, "Yes! I believe in Jesus." Yet their very life is far removed from the holiness and love of God. They use the name of God as a curse word and their hearts are filled with lust for the things of this world.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I do think that the hour grows late for this nation and the people who populate it. Someone asked John Wimber if he thought that we were living in the last days. John's reply was, "Well I'm not sure but I do know this.......we are "laster" than we've ever been." That was a kind way of saying..."I don't know when Jesus is going to return, but I know we're closer today than we were yesterday."
Whatever you do.....
Make sure you are ready to meet Him.

As Rita Springer sings....."It's Going To Be Worth It!"
Maranatha, Lord Jesus!

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...