Thursday, February 7, 2013

1700

Thursday...
Seems like the days pile up and roll by at an even quicker pace than they use to.
Don't blink, but it will be Christmas before you know it.
Found myself in a time of reflection about who I am and what I do.
This seems to be a particular place I revisit ever so often. I believe that it is dangerous to get comfortable and satisfied in life. Like it says in the big book of A.A......"we have been given the gift of desperation." Somehow we don't really see desperation as a gift, but it is.

The desperation I am speaking of is the driving urge or unction that keeps me from sitting back and resting. I have a need to hear God. I have a need to see God. I have a need to keep my compass set, so to speak, on where God is leading me, and in all of this....go. I do not have permission to sit and simply do nothing. I know this all sounds sort of "out there"....but that is about where I am. Now all this talk about desperation and following God....I want you to understand that I'm not talking about being religious or running around doing a bunch of stuff that looks religious. I'm am talking about making sure that whatever it is I lay my hand to, I do so because God told me to. I've always had this kind of fear that I would run around my entire life making apple pies for God, only to discover that God never really liked apple pie. Bummer.

Today is the 1700th posting of the Greene Street Letters.
First online posting was back in 2008 and the rest is cyber history.
What originally began as a bi-monthly newsletter was sent out via snail-mail to people who were attending our home meeting. The letter kind of grew over the following years as I began to share what God was showing me.First copies of the Greene Street Letters went out in September of 1994. In fact, I have one of the original copies framed sitting over my computer desk at Rapha. It is a reminder that it is, and always will be about God.........not me.

The letter morphed and changed as I morphed and changed. Such is not always good, as evidenced by the names that the Greene Street Letters took on....
At one point, it was known as Notes From The Outer Banks.
It was known as Blue Notes for a very short time.
It became Letters From Rapha...
Finally I simply went back to Greene Street Letters and, after doing so, was approached by Bobby Sparks, a good friend of mine, who shared with me that he felt God wanted me to leave the title alone. That was kind of confirmation for me, so Greene Street Letters, it has been.
It is kind of fun to go back and read some of the early postings...they contain memories of what life was like on that particular day.
One of the good parts that I love about the blog has been the addition of audio messages from our Saturday Night meetings that are available to listen to. Now, let's get real, o.k. I know that I'm not Billy Graham (God already has one, he doesn't need another), and I know that my teaching is pretty simple, but hopefully someone hears something that might encourage them to not give up...to keep on chasing after and following God. Come to think of it, that is why this entire blog exists. To encourage all of us to not quit. To not give up. To dig in when the winds of change blow hard against our progress. To find God in every situation and praise Him with everything in us. To be light in a dark world. To be salt in a world that has no flavor. To that light on hill that someone can look to and find their way back. Oh, on a grand scale of human endeavor, I know that this blog is very insignificant. But if one person is stirred to find God...then it has been worth it.
Thanks for letting me ramble....
I do feel better.

God on you......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...