Monday, February 18, 2013

There Is Only One Question


Acts 9:6
so he, trembling and astonished, said, "Lord, what do You want me to do?"

We humans are an inquisitive bunch.
We were created with a thirst for knowledge and understanding.
Couple this with what happened in the garden at the fall of man, and you've got a dangerous mix.
In the garden, we bite for the line that God was holding out on us. He had information that He wasn't sharing. Fueled by this thought, and the inference that if we ate the fruit we "would be like God"....mankind gave into the evil ploy of the devil. So we ingested the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Ever since that day our questions have ranged far and wide. Important and silly....thought provoking and mind numbing. But we roll on and the questions keep coming.


Every addict has probably asked themselves, "Why me?"
Or "how did it go this far?" But those questions already have answers. The answers are known, just not wanted to be acknowledged by the one who asks.
We strike out in frustration screaming, "When is this going to stop?" With an undercurrent of knowing that it isn't until we are broken. The addiction will not stop simply because it isn't a matter of willpower. Don't you find it strange that stopping comes when one simply gives up and says "I can't stop...I am powerless"?

The quote above, from the book of Acts, is the question the apostle Paul asked after his encounter with Jesus. Paul, then known as Saul, was on his way to Damascus to reek havoc and mayhem upon the church. Paul was out to shut down this so-called religion that seemed to be gathering momentum through out the region. Now, on the road to Damascus, a bright light had suddenly feel upon the caravan, knocking Paul to the ground. There, lying among the dust and dirt of the road, not knowing what to expect next....Paul listened as Jesus explained what was going on. Then Paul, full of fear and trembling, asked, "Lord, what do you want me to do?"

From that very moment until the time of his death, Paul's life would never be the same.
Maybe that is what we need...
An encounter with the real Jesus.

Not some religious Jesus....or a church Jesus....
Not a Television Jesus....or a radio Jesus....
Not the Jesus of my mind....or the Jesus in my head....
But the real-deal-went-to-Calvary-to-die-for-my-sins-Jesus.

And maybe the question asked by Paul needs to be the only question I asked for the rest of my days....."Lord, what do you want me to do?"

After asking, we should wait until God answers. Believe me, He will.
Rather than run out in my emotions....
Rather than base my decisions because of my impulsiveness....
Rather than chart the course of my life because of my cravings and own desires....
I would sit still after asking, 'Lord, what do you want me to do?" and then wait for His answer.

I know this doesn't fly by the standards of the world and society.
But look where the world and society has lead you.
Take a quick inventory of decisions that you've made in the past. How did they turn out?
Not good, I'm betting.
Consider doing business differently today.
Consider surrender of will and live over to the care of God as the starting point.

Then ask the question...
Ask it all day....
"Lord, what do you want me to do?"


God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...