Thursday, March 28, 2013

Rest Now Mr. Bentley




Psalm 116:15
Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of His saints.

Got a call yesterday morning from Jim Bentley.
He called to let me know that his father had died.
Long struggle with illness and ailments.
He was at peace now.
He was at rest now.

Sadness and many memories of Jack Bentley flooded my thoughts.
I first met him back in 1968 when I came to visit Jim on a Sunday afternoon.

Mr. Bentley was "every man's American." By that I mean he was a typical man of his generation.
He had grown up during a time when life was hard, and he knew the value of work.
He worked hard to provide for his family.
The world didn't owe him anything, but he wanted his fair share of the American Dream.
Dry humor would be the understatement for Mr. Bentley, but he loved a good laugh.
Always referring to me a "Bynum"...he would ask how everything was in my "neck of the woods."
I don't think I ever heard him call me by my first name the entire time I knew him.
"How are you doing, Bynum!"
"Fine Mr. Bentely, how are you?"

He was very proud of his sons.
As with any father, his pride lay in the fact that they had exceeded his accomplishments in life and had found and made a place for themselves.

One of my first thoughts yesterday upon hearing the news of Mr. Bentley, was what a glorious day it was to make the crossing over. What a wonderful spring day to say goodbye to all the pain and darkness that had come to Mr. Bentley's life. He was at home, not put away in some hospital room. He had family around him. When my time comes, I can't think of a better way to make the transition from this life to the next.

We will mourn for Jack's passing.
There will be tears and sadness.
But I can't, in my heart of hearts, wish him back here.
Where Mr. Bentley is today....
He now knows the truth about God that you and I only believe.

RIP Jack Bentley....
I will miss you....

mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...