Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Overcome......Or Overwhelmed?

Revelation 2:7 - He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes.....

Revelation 2:11 - He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes.....

Revelation 2:15 - He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes.....

Revelation 12:11 - And they overcame him (the devil) because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death.


Overcome...
Persevere....
Don't quit....
Don't stop...
Don't give up...

Keep on....

How many of you went by the Quick Shop today and got yourself a "6-up" soft drink?
How many of you were working on your car and went into the house to find your can of "WD-39"?

How many of you bought yourself a "2 Musketeer's" Candy bar to eat?
Maybe instead you bought a pack of peanut "L&L's"....
Did you stop at the "6-10" to pick up some milk on the way home?

I know that is kind of silly..but the idea is that someone didn't stop at WD-39 when they were working on a home lubricant. The kept at it until they had the answer to the squeaks and squonks that needed oiling.

What I have found is that the devil and his bunch will buffet you at every turn, trying to get you to quit.When this happens...when I find myself under attack in my thoughts...in my daily walk with Jesus...that is when (I can't believe I'm going to write this) I hunker down a little harder. I remind myself of the goodness of God. I remind myself of the faithfulness that God has shown to me over the past years. I read the Psalms (usually out loud) especially Psalm 91.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!"
For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you may seek refuge. His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark.

You will not be afraid of the terror by night or by the arrow that flies by day.
Of the pestilence that stalks in darkness or at the destruction that lays waste at noon.

A thousand may fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand,
but it shall not approach you.

If your new to this recovery stuff, and you have worked steps # 1,2 and 3..you should be entering into this relationship with the ultimate Higher Power, Jesus. So when the cravings hit...when you run into old so-called friends and they are all up in your business because you've bought into this whole "JESUS" thing, turn your thoughts to the truth of Psalm 91. Turn your thoughts toward Jesus and say an incredibly simple prayer....."Lord, I am claiming the truth of Your word that I read in Psalm 91. That you are my refuge, my fortress, my God in whom I will trust. No matter what comes my way today, I will be an overcomer.
Works for me...
How about you?


God on you....
mb



No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...