Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Getting Down "GOD" Style !



You know...Sometimes I just want to throw up my hands and say, "Don't you get it?"
But then I look around at the state of church and think, "Why would I want to join that?" People look like they've been baptized in lemon juice...measuring their righteousness by the droop on their faces. 
The one thing I hear from people who are pre-believers (the church likes to refer to them as "lost") is "dude, if I try and do it your way, I'll never have any fun at all."

For the pre-believer, all semblance of fun or laughter or pleasure has been dumped in order to live out a life of suit's and ties, dresses and high heels, hymns and pews. Now before you jump me, let's set one thing straight.

I have no problem with suit's and ties, dresses and high heels (as long as they are worn by the female gender), hymns and pews. What I do have is a problem with hearts that use these things to beat the pre-believer into thinking that he can't approach God unless they look and act a certain way. I'm not advocating a spiritual free-for-all. I am saying don't take YOUR preference and make it a spiritual law. 

I never will forget speaking to a men's group about being the pastor at a treatment center. A well meaning man came up to me and made the following comment. "Bless you, brother (should have caused my guard crossing to come down)...You're doing such wonderful work for the Lord. Once we get 'em saved, we can clean 'em up, get 'em some haircuts and nice clothes and bring them into church."  I know the man meant well, but what I heard was..."Let's take 'em all and make them look like us so we can accept them." I don't think Jesus would have been too pleased with this.


I posted a video of Danny Daniels doing a song "I Know It's Real" which is one of my favorites. He always winds up the evening doing this one when he comes to Rapha, and the guys just go bonkers. What's the number one comment I hear after Danny finishes? "I had a blast. I never knew you could have that much fun." Hey! Lighten up every one and have some fun. Who invented fun? God. Who created laughter? God. Who has an incredible sense of humor? God. Once again, balance is the key. We're not called to an eternal frat party, but we also are not called to a funeral dirge relationship either. 

Maybe what we need one Sunday, at the First Church of the Frozen is a good pie fight, Three Stooges style. 

God on you.....
From a "Brother" who is living the life following Jesus.

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...